APCD From Start To Finish - Video Tutorial Series

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Re: APCD From Start To Finish - Video Tutorial Series

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Jimbo wrote: October 26th, 2020, 2:14 am I''m looking for clubhouse.
You may need to view these as well then :tongue: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Stephen...this is going to call for much alcohol!
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

LMAO yep sometimes when I'm moving verts to set the elevations on the course I'm messing with there a good shot of Forty Creek sitting on the desk beside the keyboard lol :helpsmilie:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

When I got Links 2K3 I never thought that I might have time on my hands to try this, so I didn't install APCD. I'm running Links on my old Windows 7...so, with no small degree of humility I'm asking my fellow Linksters:
1. Which disk is it on?
2. How do you install it?
I have Links in a dedicated file if that's any help.
Be warned-it's going to take a long time for me to get anything produced...it's going to take months to go through all those "helpful hints".
In the meantime I'll continue to nit-pick and make myself available for input if anybody's working on Canadian courses (like St. George's or the Cabots-there' is somebody working on St. George's right?).

Anyway, I'll need a bit of a "hand-hold" to get started.
Merci!
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: October 28th, 2020, 1:59 am When I got Links 2K3 I never thought that I might have time on my hands to try this, so I didn't install APCD. I'm running Links on my old Windows 7...so, with no small degree of humility I'm asking my fellow Linksters:
1. Which disk is it on?
2. How do you install it?
I have Links in a dedicated file if that's any help.
Be warned-it's going to take a long time for me to get anything produced...it's going to take months to go through all those "helpful hints".
In the meantime I'll continue to nit-pick and make myself available for input if anybody's working on Canadian courses (like St. George's or the Cabots-there' is somebody working on St. George's right?).

Anyway, I'll need a bit of a "hand-hold" to get started.
Merci!
Hi Jimbo...

With you just starting out new, this will all seem a bit confusing, but I suggest that you don't mess around with installing the APCD from the installation disc. I'll explain...

There are 2 APCD versions made. a 2001, and a 2003 version. You want to use the 2003 version. It allows you to do "seam blending" and use "hi-res textures". The 2001 does not. The 2003 APCD, when installed from the discs, contains a default 2003 planting set. However, it offers you an option to do a "Library Merge" which will then add the 2001 planting set to the 2003 APCD Object Library. The 2001 set has been discovered to have some corrupt 2D objects in it. You really don't want to add those to your 2003 planting set. However, the 2001 set does contain some really nice 2001 3D objects, such as some buildings and houses that didn't come with the 2003 set. Confused yet? :laugh:

There have been several users that can't make the "Library Merge" work, and because of this they were never able to get the 3D buildings that come with the 2001 set. For that reason, I made a copy of the 2003 APCD and did the library merge so that the 2001 planting set was included. However, that does not mean that when you install my version that the 2001 buildings will automatically be there and ready to use. To use them you must manually transfer them from your "Object Library" into your 2003 "Planting Set". Just to clarify, the "Object Library" contains all 2D and 3D objects from both the 2001 and the 2003 APCD's. The "Planting Set" is where you transfer objects from the Object Library into so you can actually plant them on your course. The default 2003 planting set ONLY contains 2003 2D and 3D objects. If you want to use the 2001 3D buildings, then you must manually transfer them from the Object Library, into the 2003 Planting set.

The version I provided for download is a fully functional 2003 APCD installation that has already had the library merge function completed. The APCD is really simple to install. You just download it here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=348 and then unzip the downloaded file into an empty folder, and it's ready to use. Since it's an old program, all of it's files and sub-folders are self-contained within the same folder you unzipped it into. No need to search your hard drive to look for sub-folders or hidden files. Because of this you can have multiple copies of the APCD on your computer at the same time, and they will work independently from one another without any interference.

I would recommend downloading my copy, and following the instructions on how to unzip it to your machine. Don't worry at this early stage about how to transfer the 2001 buildings into the 2003 planting set. It will be a long time before you reach that stage. Planting is generally the final function of course design.

If you have any further question, just ask.

Good luck and :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Danny-I tried to download onto both my Windows 7 computer (where Links is installed) and onto my Windows 10 laptop (where it isn't installed). I'm getting a security warning that blocks the download.
Do you have any idea what would be the problem? Or do I have to dig out my old disks?
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: October 28th, 2020, 5:39 pm Hi Danny-I tried to download onto both my Windows 7 computer (where Links is installed) and onto my Windows 10 laptop (where it isn't installed). I'm getting a security warning that blocks the download.
Do you have any idea what would be the problem? Or do I have to dig out my old disks?
No reason I know of for any "security warnings" on my zip file. You're the first to have that problem that I'm aware of. Many others downloaded it with no issues. It's a perfectly clean zipfile. If you have a way to override that warning, I would do that.

I just gave it a test and it started downloading instantly without any warnings. I am using Firefox browser on Window 7 and Eset NOD 32 antivirus program. Works fine for me. Try disabling your anti-virus software temporarily and try it again to see what happens.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Jimbo wrote: October 28th, 2020, 5:39 pm Hi Danny-I tried to download onto both my Windows 7 computer (where Links is installed) and onto my Windows 10 laptop (where it isn't installed). I'm getting a security warning that blocks the download.
Is it your browser giving you the warning?

I just tried that download on Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera and had no issues. :dunno:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'll give it another shot soon.
If I rummage around and find my Links 2K3 package which disk is it on? After 10 years the mind wanders...
I may be doomed to a life of nit picking.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:13 am I'll give it another shot soon.
If I rummage around and find my Links 2K3 package which disk is it on? After 10 years the mind wanders...
I may be doomed to a life of nit picking.
Disc 3
Completed Courses