3D houses

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
brooks2345

3D houses

Post by brooks2345 »

Am working on Earth Course Dubai (where the Race to Dubai ends next week) - no problem setting up Course and normal planting, but virtually every hole is surrounded by houses - nearly all white with terra cotta roof - what's the best (and quickest) way of setting up or importing 3D versions of these (2D versions just won't work)?

Cheers

John Brooks :sad:
Danny D

Re: 3D houses

Post by Danny D »

brooks2345 wrote: November 17th, 2019, 9:50 am Am working on Earth Course Dubai (where the Race to Dubai ends next week) - no problem setting up Course and normal planting, but virtually every hole is surrounded by houses - nearly all white with terra cotta roof - what's the best (and quickest) way of setting up or importing 3D versions of these (2D versions just won't work)?

Cheers

John Brooks :sad:
Hi John...

The only way to get those 3D houses is with the 2001 object library. You need to import it into your planting set in the APCD, and only select the 3D objects to import into your existing planting set. Of course you won't find any building that match what you need. You will have to substitute other type of buildings. I would not recommend using any of the 2D objects from the 2001 object library. Lez said some of them are corrupt. The 3D objects work fine for me in both The National of KC, and Wakonda. If you notice, I used over 2400 3D objects in Wakonda.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Attachments
perf.jpg
perf.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks Dan. The houses are largely hidden by trees but have to be white with terra cotta roofs - lot of the European Courses like Valderrama and some of the Spanish and Portuguese ones also have these. I've already got the 3D houses from the 2001 planting set, but these are so far removed from what I'm after. Was thinking that there might be some way of setting up a 3D object file from Photoshop, then use this to do planting (there are upwards of 300 houses involved!).

Cheers and thanks

John Brooks :unsure:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

There was talk of the clone tool recently, I thought it was after the forum move but cant find it now so I guess it was before it :/ Im pretty sure Sage tried it out, I would ask him. Forgot who supplied it.

P.S. John I sent you a pm about a month ago or something that I dont think youve seen.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

Here is a link to the APCD clone tool as I downloaded it years ago from APCD-Courses, with instructions (not mine) - https://we.tl/t-IqCXULDlqK.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Can anyone describe how to use the .dll file? I've never opened or launched programs with a dll file. The instructions say "Open up APCD Clone tool version and in it open up the copy of the course". Huh? :unsure: I have no idea what that means. :helpsmilie:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
gator

Post by gator »

I'm certainly no expert in the APCD as I can barely open it and open a course to have a look around, so take my observations with that in mind.

When you open the APCD the file dropdown looks like this:
APCD original.jpg
APCD original.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 6352 times

In the folder where you installed the APCD, there should be a file with the name ApcdRC.dll. Rename that file (ApcdRC-old.dll or whatever). Copy the ApcdRC.dll from the clone tool file I uploaded into your APCD folder. You may want to have an entirely separate APCD installation for this purpose. Once you have copied the "clone tool" dll and then open the APCD, the file dropdown now looks like this:
APCD w clone dll.jpg
APCD w clone dll.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 6352 times

The directions that accompany the clone tool may now make a little more sense.

I hope this helps a little. Keep all those wonderful course designs coming.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

gator wrote: November 18th, 2019, 5:39 pm I'm certainly no expert in the APCD as I can barely open it and open a course to have a look around, so take my observations with that in mind.

When you open the APCD the file dropdown looks like this:
APCD original.jpg

In the folder where you installed the APCD, there should be a file with the name ApcdRC.dll. Rename that file (ApcdRC-old.dll or whatever). Copy the ApcdRC.dll from the clone tool file I uploaded into your APCD folder. You may want to have an entirely separate APCD installation for this purpose. Once you have copied the "clone tool" dll and then open the APCD, the file dropdown now looks like this:
APCD w clone dll.jpg

The directions that accompany the clone tool may now make a little more sense.

I hope this helps a little. Keep all those wonderful course designs coming.
Thanks Gator. :notworthy: Makes sense now. That's a pretty important step in the use of the clone tool. Seems that step should be added to the instructions as "Step One"... :yes:

I may do some testing to see if this thing works. If I learn anything, I'll pass it on...

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

The link expired to the clone tool, is it possible to repost?
gator

Post by gator »

Here you go - https://we.tl/t-jejVHoKrBB . The link is only good for 7 days. I added a newer instructions file with some of the information above preceding the information that accompanied the file when I downloaded it.