APCD - error - FILE NOT A CRZ

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
morvio100

APCD - error - FILE NOT A CRZ

Post by morvio100 »

Hey, why is this error ... "File not a crz, or unable to open crz" popping up when trying to open so many courses.... there seems to be only handful of courses the APCD will open, I can understand getting this error on "LOCKED course but it pops up for many many UNLOCKED courses... :wallbash: .... :pcwhack:
gator

Re: APCD - error - FILE NOT A CRZ

Post by gator »

Could be that they are locked and the designer/uploader renamed the crz and removed the "_LOCKED" from the name. That would be my guess if you can open them in Links without issue.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:21 pm Hey, why is this error ... "File not a crz, or unable to open crz" popping up when trying to open so many courses.... there seems to be only handful of courses the APCD will open, I can understand getting this error on "LOCKED course but it pops up for many many UNLOCKED courses... :wallbash: .... :pcwhack:
One thing of note is that you cannot open any of the MS created courses, and there are a LOT of them. Tell us a couple of the ones you get that message from, and perhaps we can verify if they are open-able. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Thanks for the reply Dan....tbh ...the list would be too long....all of Sages and McCoist's are "open-able.....and maybe 10 others...think I have around 60/70 courses...not sure what version of the APCD I have...will update you as to the specific version...its the one you dl'd of the official Links Country Club site...maybe I missin some APCD update or something....ps I have no interest in experimenting with any original MS courses...typically they are of poor quality...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

gator wrote: January 11th, 2023, 11:17 pm Could be that they are locked and the designer/uploader renamed the crz and removed the "_LOCKED" from the name. That would be my guess if you can open them in Links without issue.
Your likely correct Gator ..... :thumbup:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:55 am Thanks for the reply Dan....tbh ...the list would be too long....
Hi morvio100.

Perhaps you misread my post. I only asked for the names of a "couple" of them, not the entire list. Just provide us with the name of one of them so we can test it too.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

burnsHD.crz / stchritophersbay.crz / BeechwoodValleyGolfClub.CRZ APCD hangs infinitely when loading as it does on a lot of courses / CaraBraeHD.crz the lists goes on and on / Scioto Country Club.CRZ ..... APCD hangs

APCD details.... attached pic

Thanks Dan
Attachments
APCD VERSION-01-13 151953.gif
APCD VERSION-01-13 151953.gif (231.94 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

What Gator said is true, some courses have been doctored so they dont show Locked. I have just opened without any problems one of the courses you mentioned ( Beechwood )
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (314.05 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
Some time ago I lost everything when the hard drive crashed and I had to reinststall Links. I had about 200 courses backed up on a small portable drive but half of them would not load in links. I was stumped for a while and it turned out that I had not downloaded the Mod for HD Textures and it was these that would not play ( Have you downloaded the Mod for HD Textures ) Just a thought
The Locked courses where my pet hate at one time and I would not have them on my drive, but I was the only one loosing out as there are some nice locked courses. So now I just put up and shut up. I have asked the question many times as to why courses are locked and have only ever got one answer giving a reason. The normal reply is always ( Its a free world so the desighner can do what they want with the course ) I have no problem with this remark, but it does not answer the question ( WHY ) is a course locked. The only reason I can see is that the designer does not want to share anything on the course.So be it, but a lot of the locked courses have nothing on them worth pinching, for want of a better word.My own view is that if I was capable of creating something good I would be only be to glad to share it with other designers.
:dunno: :yes: I must admit I am not to bright. I remember my school report saying ( this child should not be allowed to breed ) :whistle: :sad: :unsure:
All the best to everyone
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 3:21 pm burnsHD.crz / stchritophersbay.crz / BeechwoodValleyGolfClub.CRZ APCD hangs infinitely when loading as it does on a lot of courses / CaraBraeHD.crz the lists goes on and on / Scioto Country Club.CRZ ..... APCD hangs

APCD details.... attached pic

Thanks Dan
Hi Morv...

I chose the first one on your list. (burnsHD.crz) It's a Mike Jones course, and I'm pretty sure he locked all of his courses.

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1630 times

The third one on your list (BeechwoodValleyGolfClub).CRZ) is by Dominique Bois. It would not open for me in the APCD because I don't have some of the 3D objects that he's using. If you do not have the correct 3D objects, a course will hang up and look like it freezes. You will typically hear a BEEP or a short WHISTLING type noise when the course freezes. In actuality it happens because the error message will pop up UNDER the APCD on the desktop, and then when you close the APCD, the error will disappear and you won't know what happened. When that happens and you hear the beep and it freezes, don't close the APCD, but rather minimize it and go to your desktop and you should see the error message warning you that the 3D objects are missing.

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1630 times
Completed Courses
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

derricksummers wrote: January 13th, 2023, 6:49 pm I have asked the question many times as to why courses are locked and have only ever got one answer giving a reason.
Derrick
Hi again Derrick...

The typical definitive answer to your question is, many of the designers were in competition to build PAY FOR PLAY courses. Many of them purchased hi-rez textures to make their course look better than average, or unique. When they spent money on textures, or created their own, they did not want to just give them away for free, so they guarded them to use on their own courses.

Personally, I don't blame them. If you are competing with others and trying to make money designing courses, you certainly don't want to just give your work away.

Just to give you an example, I purchased 21, hi-rez trees for Coeur d'Alene. They cost me $85.00. In total I invested $110.00 in that course, and I did not lock it. I'm not in competition to make any profit on my courses, so I gladly left it unlocked and made them available for others. If we were still able to sell those courses, I may have made a different decision about that.

Hope that gives you a better understanding of why some of the past designers kept them locked, other than they were just being stingy about sharing. :smile:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses