Completed Hole will not play in Links2003

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Re: Completed Hole will not play in Links2003

Post by Ian Wells »

Derrick,
I would love to explain how it works, but my knowledge of Lidar is insufficient to do so.
Good luck with the test and a lasting solution.
Ian
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

One of the disadvantages with inserting shapes is that it requires a lot of turning edges. Unfortunately, turning edges is one of the processes that suffers from a memory leak within APCD and you are guaranteed a crash given a long enough edge-turning session. Also, crashes are likely to become more frequent as your course develops, because a larger course file will reduce the amount of free memory available to APCD. If you save and exit from APCD regularly you can avoid these crashes, but that may lose you the time you think you are saving by inserting shapes in the first place! :laugh:
There are quite a few other APCD processes that suffer from this memory leak problem as well, although I've since forgotten most of them.... crowd planting is definitely one though!!! :wallbash:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
linkster

Post by linkster »

Interesting hearing about your experience with the lake from the LIDAR grid. One thing I noticed about LIDAR data is that water areas are not flat. Also, with that many verts it is easy to miss if one of the adjacent verts to the water is below the reflective water level.

Through my experience with St Andrews I find that adding verts and turning edges works best for me. If a vert is near the shape edge I am working on I move the vert sideways a little bit, but only a little because this can distort the elevations. Adding verts keeps the smoothness of the terrain intact as they inherit the elevation proportionally from the surrounding verts. I get to work in APCD for about an hour in the evenings and have not had a crash from mesh editing.

Lez, I would love to pick your brain on APCD issues! :naughty: I found a way to import a course terrain accurate to 0.01 ft (3mm !) but after a few saves and adding overlay textures I find that the APCD top view is laggy when working on the mesh and selecting faces. Odd thing is that the prespective view behaves normally. I don't think it is a terrain import issue as some non-LIDAR terrains act the same in my APCD. I am writing the next LIDAR tutorial on how to import terrains into APCD but I don't want to include things that will cause problems.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

linkster wrote: September 27th, 2022, 12:24 am I find that the APCD top view is laggy when working on the mesh and selecting faces. Odd thing is that the prespective view behaves normally.
What I have found is that,sometimes when you have the perspective view and the top view on at the same time, the perspective view keeps redrawing when I make changes on the top view, especially when there is a lot of the course being displayed in the perspective view. I would recommend that you try closing the perspective view window when you are not working on it.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Lez,
Thank you. As always it is helpful to hear your experienced voice.
I must have been lucky, for once, as all 18 holes were laid out using the insertion method. This included the cart paths, some roads, first cut and the greens, and I had no crashes other than the problem with the vertices on the lake, which wasn't an insertion problem. Hopefully, I will be equally lucky, as the seam blending and planting details are added. :fcrossed:

Linkster,
I build courses in APCD for pleasure, and I found adding vertices and turning edges, tedious and generally hard work. The course may not be as good as it could be but doing it my way gets the course completed - hopefully. :whistle:
With regard to the water, I am aware that the level is not consistent, but due to having problems with the water level on other courses I always flatten all vertices. Once again, thanks for the download. :cheers1:

Ian
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Lez, Linkster and Derrick,

I am afraid you are correct, and my initial thoughts are wrong. :oops:

As I get to the nitty-gritty of cleaning the shape inserts it is as tedious, if not more so, than adding individual vertices at the beginning :wallbash:

As I will not start again, it is going to take me some long, boring hours of cleaning up my mess as all 18 holes are laid out and inserted.

Should I build another course with a Lidar download I will certainly follow your advice, for which I thank you. :tiphat:

Ian
linkster

Post by linkster »

Update on the laggy APCD top view. It is caused by having shapes visibility turn on. :wallbash:

Ian, I have an idea to help you along. Which holes have you not worked on yet?
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Linkster,
Thank you, but there is no help needed.
I have all 18 holes inserted and I am now adding the seam blends and doing any tidy-up where I feel it is necessary. There is not as much work as I originally thought. Normal APCD work. :whistle:
I have blended 6 holes, so 12 to go before the Planting and the 3D work.

Thanks again.
Ian