Using LIDAR DEM for Real Courses

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
SLucey

Re: Using LIDAR DEM for Real Courses

Post by SLucey »

linkster wrote: June 25th, 2022, 4:42 pm
When you have the data downloaded it can be added to a GIS program layer for viewing.
Hi Linkster,
okay, so I downloaded the GeoTiff file from USGS site. I've downloaded and installed QGIS program. Opened and started a New Project.
Could you explain further the "add to a GIS program layer for viewing". How exactly do you accomplish that in the QGIS. Since this is the
first time I've laid eyes on this QGIS program I'll need step by step instructions on this is done in QGIS, please.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Guys he said he will do tutorials after The Open (July) :smile: If unable to wait until then, consider his offer about generating the course terrain for an individual course for you, if you check whether the 1m data is available and message him which course and your desired vert spacing.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Glenn...this would never be the same without you! :clapping:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

It looks like there is a course in New York that may be available and has been asked for a lot. Perhaps..............
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi linkster

really excited by the LIDAR and looking forward to tutorial after the Open.
Could really speed up production !

Peter
linkster

Post by linkster »

I have an update on the LIDAR terrain import process! I did some research on the USGS DEM file format (google search) and found a paper that describes the .dem file format. I discovered that the .dem file does support both meters and feet (can be mixed) and that there are internal scaling factors that can make the integer data numbers into decimals. The problem is that the QGIS file converter does not utilize these attributes but a quick hex edit, or edit in notepad if you are careful, can adjust these parameters. If the elevation values are adjusted in QGIS by a factor of 100 and the z axis scale factor is set to 0.01 the .dem file format can handle decimal values for elevations. What is even better is that the APCD terrain importer handles these attributes correctly! It is possible to import a course terrain with 0.01 m or 0.01 ft precision from LIDAR data without any of that funky vertical scaling I used to do in APCD!

:cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1:

When the elevation data values start to include decimal values the change in elevation that the file can handle shrinks. It will be necessary to subtract increments of 100 meters (of feet) from high elevation courses in QGIS but this will not cause any problems because we only need the relative elevation values for a course in APCD.

I have done 2 course imports of 2m x 2m x 0.01m terrains this weekend and the results look great. I think the greens may even be accurate enough to avoid doing any contour line creations. This would leave only seam blends and special features as the majority of the terrain work.

Sigh ...... I should have researched the .dem file format first. Now I have a bunch of course terrains to redo.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Linkster,

Well done, it is very good news that you can produce downloads with higher accuracy.

I don't know if:
Now I have a bunch of course terrains to redo
includes Mountain Top Golf and Lake Club, but please don't spend your time with it.

Working on the download of Mountain Top Golf and Lake Club that you kindly provided for me, It has taken me 6 attempts over 9 weeks to become somewhat content with how to work with this format within APCD and I have no desire to start again. :wallbash: :laugh:

Thank you for all the help you provide to your fellow designers. :cheers1:

Ian
linkster

Post by linkster »

I have no plans to redo any of the course requests, only if the designer wishes it. I have about 10 major championship courses that I did on my hard drive while I worked the bugs out of the process :smile: .
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Excellent news Linkster.

Looks like a an avalanche of detailed courses will be coming our way soon.

:clapping:

Peter
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

linkster just sent me back Royal Sydney in 2M resolution in 0.1 heights. It's hard to believe what he's been able to do - I am stunned.

There are a group of bunkers that I have only needed to just tinker with some verts. And there is just incredible detail in the fairways.

I have a half-finished version of Sydney. Just thrown it away and started again - it will be far quicker to finish the new one.

This is the biggest thing to hit APCD since 1024 textures and maybe we'll soon talk about real courses in Links in much the same way - "oh that's a pre-LIDAR DEM 100,000 vert only low-res version - I wonder if the designer would be willing to update it for us?" :smile:

Is there an award we can give him?
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)