Getting textures and Buildings.

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
MasterMontgomery

Getting textures and Buildings.

Post by MasterMontgomery »

This is a two part question. Where do i get more textures and
Buildings? Secondly, in my objects\3d2k3 buildings folder there are only 5 of
them an they end with .xyz
Not sure what is going on but i would like to have more buildings. Also
if i go to the planting set an try to import from this folder, it sees nothing.

thanks
Doug :smile:
pmgolf

Re: Getting textures and Buildings.

Post by pmgolf »

Youtube videos of Episode 44 thru 47 of Lez Marwick's Video Tutorial Series.

Episode 44. Extracting 2D objects from other courses http://youtu.be/ZFbasWH4l9E

Episode 45. Adding new 2D objects to the APCD http://youtu.be/BNx1rk7WrFM

Episode 46. Editing 2D object images http://youtu.be/FoWqgfzyXhE

Episode 47. Creating your own 2D objects http://youtu.be/3bYDC779bi8

The entire series: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49&p=107&hilit=APCD ... inish#p107

Pete
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

As far as the buildings go, you can't add more 3D buildings. If you see .xyz, it's going to be a 3D object. In order to import from the folder where the 3D objects are into your planting set you need to highlight the 3D radial button so those objects will show up.
MasterMontgomery

Post by MasterMontgomery »

Thanks Pete i will check those out.
An Braden if you can't add buildings then how do some people
have all those houses?

thanks
guys
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

MasterMontgomery wrote: April 13th, 2022, 1:42 am Thanks Pete i will check those out.
An Braden if you can't add buildings then how do some people
have all those houses?

thanks
guys
Hi MM...
I can speak on this subject. A few years ago I took on a project to see how far I could push the APCD, and I replicated a real course that was laid out through a subdivision in Kansas City MO. The course is "The National Golf Club of Kansas City". It's a real course that was designed by Tom Watson and was completed on 2000. I set out to try and replicate the course with all of the houses and buildings. My thought was, if you can see a building anywhere on the course, I would place a structure on it.

Houses and buildings can be used in 3 formats.

1: Planted 2D buildings
When planted they will rotate to face you as you move around them. These types of buildings can be used when they are off at a distance. So far away that you can't notice the rotation

2: Planted 3D houses and buildings that are provided in the 2 planting sets.
There are 2 versions of planting sets. The best 3D houses can be found in the 2001 planting set. There are 5 or 6 real nice ones that can be re-used in multiple locations. 3D buildings are planted on flat surfaces, and can be rotated to face any direction you want. They can also be stretched or resized in all directions. However, they should be sized so as to measure realistic sizes. If these buildings are used, they can be placed and rotated in such a manner as to make them look different, so you don't notice the repetitiveness so much. The National of KC is the best example I believe you will find. From the top view in Links, the view that you see is actual Google Earth top views. I dropped a 3D house on top of each one. I did my best to try and keep them rotated and separated so you don't notice the repeats.

3: Hand-built 3D buildings is the 3rd type.
These must be built completely by hand out of the existing terrain, or manually created faces and texture. You build the shape of the structure out of verts, and then you apply pictures on the faces that make it look like siding, or windows, or shingles etc. etc. This type of building is the best, but it's very time-consuming and tedious work that can get really frustrating, depending on how detailed you want to make it. These structures MUST BE built on the CRZ you are working on, and CAN NOT be exported or imported in either direction.

If anyone is interested in finding every 3D building that is useful for a course, it can be found on The National Golf Club of Kansas City. Just open it in the Links Extender and export them to your hard drive, and then import them into your own planting set.

Another way to get all of the 3D buildings is to install both planting sets into your APCD.

You can also look at the KC course in the APCD and see how I placed them. You will notice a LOT of hand built 3D structures, such as the clubhouse, bridges, starting shack, tennis courts, snack shack, rest rooms, swimming pools, and other course structures that would be seen as if you were really there. The lake on 9 has a boat dock, with 2 boats. Those boats are hand-made structures. In short, every structure that you see that wasn't planted was hand built.

I threw everything I had into that layout, and I am impressed at how well the APCD handled it. That course was a valuable test of what I have come to learn about how much the APCD will handle. Not only are there near 100 3D buildings scattered all over the plot, but it has a lot of thick tall grasses and trees.

After I completed the National, I did Wakonda Club. It too has a ton of planted 3D buildings surrounding it.

Hope that helped to clarify how we add buildings to our courses.

Cheers,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Excellent info by Dan above, however I believe this one part is incorrect:
Danny D wrote: April 13th, 2022, 4:41 amIf anyone is interested in finding every 3D building that is useful for a course, it can be found on The National Golf Club of Kansas City. Just open it in the Links Extender and export them to your hard drive, and then import them into your own planting set.
I seem to remember that you cant extract 3D obects from Links Extender. I mean you can, but for some reason you get a file format (forgot which one) that is not usable by APCD. Possibly there is some program somewhere that could convert it into the correct files you need for importing 3D objects into APCD, but I couldnt find one and no one else seemed to know anything about it when I asked here on LC. Importing 3D objects can be done, but you need someone to create the necessary files within a program that can create 3D objects, which requires some skill with such a program and also takes a bunch of work.

If anyone wants more info about how to import 3D objects feel free to ask, I have the info saved somewhere, I'd just have to find it. You need (for each individual object) an .xyz file plus another file... forgot what the file format was. Well, you also need a third file, the preview I think, but that one isnt as crucial since its pretty easy to make one by oneself if you have the other two files.

I would also like to add that, if anyone wants the standard APCD 2001 3D objects (they're great), you can either perform the library merge or just download an APCD that already has the 2001 objects added into it, as provided by Dan in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=348
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh and about textures mentioned in the original post - there are loads of them available in all kinds of places, check the "APCD Add-On Downloads" section of the forum for a place to start, but you can also get them from various unlocked courses, there are many designers who openly allow people to use textures from their courses. If you want more info about it just ask or send me a pm.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: April 13th, 2022, 8:48 am Excellent info by Dan above, however I believe this one part is incorrect:
Danny D wrote: April 13th, 2022, 4:41 amIf anyone is interested in finding every 3D building that is useful for a course, it can be found on The National Golf Club of Kansas City. Just open it in the Links Extender and export them to your hard drive, and then import them into your own planting set.
I seem to remember that you cant extract 3D objects from Links Extender.
OOPS! My bad! :oops: Good catch. It's been so long since I tried it that I had forgotten about that. Thanks Adelade.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Any of the custom 3D objects that were either made in #D Max or a similar program can be imported through Extender but the process is complicated. They basically have to be dismantled on the x,y and z axis then put back together.

The other 3D objects are all found in the libraries after you merge them, so if you are importing anything it's just duplication
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

This might not be the right spot to mention it but when dealing with tournament objects in addition to the flag logos, TV towers and spectators on the course most tournaments will have luxury $uites beside the 17th green as well as behind the 18th tee and surrounding the 18th green.
Just thought I'd mention it... :whistle: