Too many textures created crash in game.

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Colin Jones

Re: Too many textures created crash in game.

Post by Colin Jones »

Adelade wrote: February 7th, 2022, 11:36 pm
Colin Jones wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:36 pm Each green has to be completely enclosed by at least one single solid (non-blend, non-rough) texture. In most designs, this will be the fringe.

But if the designer has used a series of consecutive seam blends (only) moving outwards from the green - then this will cause the crash, with the "too many textures" message.
Hmm this has not been my experience. There are plenty courses with consecutive seamblends that dont crash for me at least. Sage has made many such courses for example. Chicago (both versions) is an example I can think of right away, but Im pretty sure there are plenty others. I dont normally use the Green Analyzer tool, but I tested it once on a course that had consequtive seamblends outside the green once, and nothing strange happened that time. Not trying to debunk what you're saying, perhaps it varies with users/system/settings, but considering my experiences, it cant alone be the cause of the crash.
Its actually been reported to be a problem on numerous courses over the years, mostly betas but including the final Wagga Wagga release and my early release of Redstone (which I thought i had completed fixed/eradicated - Adelade, are you playing the latest uploaded version?)
The course is still among my very favourites. At times I have considered asking you if you perhaps have an unlocked copy of the course laying around somewhere, and if you'd be ok with me trying to make an update to try fix the issue (if I could figure out how to) along with adding more pins.
Hey there - thanks for the feedback, thats nice. A few house moves and many PC changes since Redstone, not sure I still have it. Was my first crack at the APCD, a labour of love. I would have no problem with you doing that, I'll check some old CDs/USBs about and see what I have.

I bow to your superior ACPD-experience - but I am serious about enclosing the green with a solid texture (if you are getting the too many textures message). It may not crash if you are lucky. But if it does, it will keep doing it and I am 100% certain making that green design change will stop that crash. :smile:
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thank you so much for considering it! :smile:

About the texture crash, I dont think it has to do with luck. I just released another course (Le Golf Nat 2022 RC) where the greens are not enclosed by any solid texture other than Rough, but rather 2 to 3 seamblends immediately next to eachother. Neither me nor any of the 4 beta testers (nor anyone else) reported any too-many-textures crashes so far. I normally have a solid fringe texture around greens with meshes I make myself, but this mesh was made by Sage. Im pretty sure he makes lots of courses with similar configurations and I've heard no reports on such crashes on his courses, so I believe it is fine to make courses like this.

In the picture below from Le Golf Nat 2022 RC, red names are solid textures (non-seamblends), blue names are seamblends.

Le Golf Nat Green Seamblends.jpg
Le Golf Nat Green Seamblends.jpg (278.47 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Edit: One possible explanation for our different experiences, could potentially be that one reason for the crash happens if (and only if) two certain conditions are met at the same time: 1. Greens being immediately surrounded by two or more seamblends next to eachother, like you say, and 2. Unknown condition which was present in the course you tested at, but not present in any of the courses where I've seen condition #1. Im almost certain Lez once mentioned the same thing you're saying, so I wouldnt be surprised if you're indeed onto something. All I know is that condition #1 cant cause the crashes completely on its own, since there are a lot of courses where condition #1 seems to work fine for most (if not all) users.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Very interesting reading, guys! Something to consider.

Pete