Too many textures created crash in game.

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ponkey

Too many textures created crash in game.

Post by ponkey »

Hi all

I think I might have got too carried away making things for APCD. I've made lots of crowd, sitting for the stands and standing for elsewhere. But I'm now getting crashes in game that says too many textures created. Always happens at the tenth tee. If I restart links2003 and take the option to resume it will let me play the back nine. The "textures" mentioned in the crash error message, are they 2d objects as well as surface textures?

Many thanks as always in anticipation

Peter
Adelade

Re: Too many textures created crash in game.

Post by Adelade »

Good question, personally dont know the answer. If it was me, I would first and foremost look for any spots of particularly many different surface textures in the area that is within view of that tee shot. I have noticed that same crash message on the course Redstone, but dont remember it anywhere else.

I would also look to see if some texture might have gotten corrupted, that has happened on rare occasion (twice) for me, I dont know if it causes this particular crash/error message (seems like a realistic possibility), I just noticed the textures suddenly looking weird within APCD (as if they had a weird scaling). What I did in those situations to solve it, was to rename the TGA file to something different and load it into a new texture entry within APCD.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

ponkey wrote: January 27th, 2022, 3:40 pm Hi all
Hi Ponkey

To add more to what Adelade mentioned, one thing I have noticed is too many textures from only specific views. For example, all of the troublesome crashes may only occur when you are looking north across several fairways or fields or ponds, bunkers, tall weeds, trees etc etc.. I have noticed that myself when working in the APCD. From some spots when I was looking a certain direction, the APCD would try loading the textures directly in front of me and then crash. Eventually I had to start turning off trees and other views to get beyond certain areas. I suspect that might be because there were too many different TGA hi-res textures in front of me that the APCD was trying to load, and it was eating into my CPU or RAM and graphics memory. That may be what your problem is. Try this. Go to where the crash occurs and take a look at whats out there in front of you. Are you looking over a lot of the course, or is there perhaps a ton of trees, flowers, weed, bushes, buildings and so on. Every different 2D texture is trying to load. Too many of them in hi-res can cause memory errors.

Here's another question. Have you noticed any of the 2D objects changing as you back away, or move toward them in the game? Like maybe you see a red flower, and when you move closer to it it might turn into a different color or flower? If you have, those may be an issue that needs to be dealt with. If that's the case, I can tell you how to solve that issue. Just let me know.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi again

thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely investigate all things mentioned.

Here's a bit of an update..... I have played the course twice now in practice mode without a crash.
I played it in "new round" mode with large crowds and with medium crowds and it crashed.
I then played with small crowds and it allowed me a whole round........but second time with small crowds crashed !

Seems like the microsoft crowds are causing the problem?
My new crowds are 2d non tournament objects and were all present in the "practice" rounds.

Next up , I'm going to remove all microsoft crowds and see if I can play in "new round" mode.

The quest continues.

Peter
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Oh yes... I also played one round in "new round" mode with the "no crowds" setting and played all 18 holes no crash.

Peter
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Crowds generally puts a bit extra stress on the game to render everything, but I dont think it is a huge amount unless you plant really, really many people. I also dont know how many textures or other plantings or verts you have, so it is hard for me to do anything other than guess, but if the course is already large in those other areas, it could possibly be a case of the crowds being the straw that broke the camel's back. Other people with other computers/systems/settings might have either more or less problems with crashes or render times than yourself.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
mccoist

Post by mccoist »

I think Danny's right, I seem to remember this being a RAM issue.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Each green has to be completely enclosed by at least one single solid (non-blend, non-rough) texture. In most designs, this will be the fringe.

But if the designer has used a series of consecutive seam blends (only) moving outwards from the green - then this will cause the crash, with the "too many textures" message. Cannot be sure it is the only cause of the "too many textures" crash message, but I have tested the theory enough to be certain that this design flaw will be a trigger for it to happen.

You can check by using the green preview option for the hole. When using it, you will see that the green will not appear as it should on the holes that have been incorrectly designed this way (the use of the preview function will probably trigger the game to crash anyway).

Its actually been reported to be a problem on numerous courses over the years, mostly betas but including the final Wagga Wagga release and my early release of Redstone (which I thought i had completed fixed/eradicated - Adelade, are you playing the latest uploaded version?)

So Ponkey - firstly, I'd be checking the design of your green complex at the 10th.

Hope this helps.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Colin Jones wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:36 pm Each green has to be completely enclosed by at least one single solid (non-blend, non-rough) texture. In most designs, this will be the fringe.

But if the designer has used a series of consecutive seam blends (only) moving outwards from the green - then this will cause the crash, with the "too many textures" message.
Hmm this has not been my experience. There are plenty courses with consecutive seamblends that dont crash for me at least. Sage has made many such courses for example. Chicago (both versions) is an example I can think of right away, but Im pretty sure there are plenty others. I dont normally use the Green Analyzer tool, but I tested it once on a course that had consequtive seamblends outside the green once, and nothing strange happened that time. Not trying to debunk what you're saying, perhaps it varies with users/system/settings, but considering my experiences, it cant alone be the cause of the crash.
Its actually been reported to be a problem on numerous courses over the years, mostly betas but including the final Wagga Wagga release and my early release of Redstone (which I thought i had completed fixed/eradicated - Adelade, are you playing the latest uploaded version?)
Im positive I have the latest version listed on Links Corner, the course does not crash each round for me, only sometimes, but still noticably more often than on majority of courses. I only know that my last time crashing on Redstone, it was this particular error (I also wrote down exactly where it happened, but I dont have those notes with me at the moment), the crashes I had before that might have been different errors, didnt bother to write it down those times. The course is still among my very favourites. At times I have considered asking you if you perhaps have an unlocked copy of the course laying around somewhere, and if you'd be ok with me trying to make an update to try fix the issue (if I could figure out how to) along with adding more pins.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi all

latest update is that I removed all microsoft crowds(although I'm pretty certain that this did not solve the problem) and fiddled with one or two faces that had skewed a little and now I haven't had a crash for many rounds. The faces that I fiddled with are miles away from the 10th tee though.
I even took the course to my old(very old PC) and it worked perfectly.

Hooray !!

Peter