Texture Labeling Question...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Texture Labeling Question...

Post by Danny D »

Hi group. I have a question.

I have never really dealt with this in the past, but it was brought to my attention during testing. Now I'm curious what everyone does about it, or if there is a right or a wrong way to deal with it.

Question:
When I need a graphic to use on textures, like walls, posts, roofs, railings, gutters etc etc, or any texture that may be shared by multiple items, is there a specific manner to give the same texture a different name when used on a different surface? See the example below. Those 3 areas share the same texture, and if your ball comes to rest on any of them, they will show "Retaining Wall"

Should I clone the same texture, give them specific label names, and assign a different cloned copy to each different surface? I assume cloning the same texture multiple times does not add additional significant data to the file size?

What method does everyone else use?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

texturename.jpg
texturename.jpg (384.29 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Re: Texture Labeling Question...

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Dan,

I have always cheated by calling the texture something like "Weathered Board". After all the golfer can see if he is on a step, bridge or retaining wall.
I assume having three textures in place of one will increase the file size by 2x4000 KB, which isn't very much?

The screen shot looks very impressive and although I'm not a player, I'm looking forward to playing this course. :cheers1:

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

The CRZ file wont increase in size (at least not more than possibly a fraction of a MB) as long as you use the same texture file for the additional texture clones :thumbup: I've tested it before. I like the weathered board suggestion, I think I simply called them all "wood" in a similar situation on some course I worked with.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thanks for the replies Ian and Adelade. I'm still curious if there is an actual preferred or standard method. Or a "correct" method that is "by the book" so to speak. I've never seen that discussed or covered before. :unsure:

Thanks again fellas, :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added