Glen Abbey Update

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Glen Abbey Update

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:14 pm Did the course play as par 73 last time the PGA tour visited it?
No was a par 72 with Dustin Johnson winning in 2018. One year I believe hole #16 was played as a par 4, it being just over 500 yards. Interesting that course has three par 5's on back side at #13, #16 and #18 and announcers were always saying this fact gave players a chance to make up shots to catch a leader at end of their rounds. Looking up tournament history saw Lambton last hosted tournament in 1941.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sorry guys-I forget to mention that for the Canadian Open Hole 1 plays (played? :fear: ) as a Par 4. It would be a relatively short hole for a Par 5 (if you're a pro).
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

gene_golf wrote: July 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Adelade wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:14 pm Did the course play as par 73 last time the PGA tour visited it?
No was a par 72 with Dustin Johnson winning in 2018. One year I believe hole #16 was played as a par 4, it being just over 500 yards. Interesting that course has three par 5's on back side at #13, #16 and #18 and announcers were always saying this fact gave players a chance to make up shots to catch a leader at end of their rounds. Looking up tournament history saw Lambton last hosted tournament in 1941.
Hi Gene-actually it's the first hole-see my next post. Hole 1 plays to a par 5 for "duffers". :laugh:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

I see hole #1 as played in 2002 original as well as the 2014 revised version of course is a 500 yard par 4. Interesting to check out the 2 versions as deep rough was a part of original course design as well as having unique texture names, such as calling sand traps cat boxes instead. Also I checked to see what I remembered that hole #5 had a so called elephant mound in the middle of the green for the original version that was smoothed out for 2014 version. In actuality all the par 5's are reachable playing Links and certainly today by the pros. Back when course was designed in mid-70's by Nicklaus, he probably thought with distance players hit then that the par 5's might be reached in 2 shots if wind aided. Definitely there were no given 3 shot 600 yard par 5's and hole #18 Nicklaus I feel wanted to end a tournament with an exciting finishing par 5 having green over lake with sand traps close behind green. Pin was tucked there when Tiger hit 6 iron out of right fairway sand trap to win a tournament there one year. Interesting to me that course was designed in Links with trees turning colors and Canadian Open is usually played in the Summer.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi guys:
I'm doing a "Nit-pick" of the Beta and will have a few comments-I'll post them here rather than go with a PM because a couple of things would be better off decided by the whole community...you'll understand when you see my comments.
The course is, in fact re-routed for the Canadian Open-this is the "true" routing.

Has anybody heard anything new about the fate of the real thing? This is the latest I have-along with some great pictures.

https://www.saveglenabbey.ca/

https://www.google.com/search?q=glen+ab ... kzPMT-nPiM
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

If the community wants the course rerouted like the Canadian open it would be a very easy fix. A poll perhaps?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Both versions :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Pete wrote: July 17th, 2020, 11:06 pm Both versions :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
could be done
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Somewhere in that picture post you'll find an article about the local "PC" candidate supporting the "Save Glen Abbey" cause. The PC's are the Progressive Conservative Party ( roughly equivalent to Republicans) and they're the governing party in the province. Not that it might make a difference.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm attaching my comments for your entertainment. There is only one major issue and a few minor ones, but one of the "minor" ones may be the most controversial one.

Anyway, it's a great job. :cheers1: :clapping:
Folks, Glen Abbey is only ranked as the 60th best course in Canada but it has a history, even if that history is shorter than many of our higher-ranked clubs. It's a PGA course (a relatively easy one) that's accessible to the public and IMHO deserves to be preserved. It's heartbreakingly ironic that it's one of Canada's major golf club owners that wants to pull the plug.
Anyway, here are my comments-my next stop is Shaughnessy.

And Animal-there's a PM for you-if I can get the thing to work! :smile:
Attachments
Course Input.docx
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 197 times