LINKS AT INGONISH & OTHER STUFF FROM UP HERE

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

LINKS AT INGONISH & OTHER STUFF FROM UP HERE

Post by Jimbo »

The real name is Highlands Links (another Stanley Thompson Course) and it's one of the top courses in Eastern Canada-or it should be.

The recent fires are threatening the courses in the east around Halifax-it's not far from Cape Breston (although they don't pose a threat up there, at least not now) and the top-ranked Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links appear to be safe. There's supposed to be another 18 hole Cabot course on the way, although there is great opposition from the public as it's going to occupy a provincial park.

But the real problem seems to be with Highlands Links (listed as Links at Ingonish in our directory). There have been a lot of complaints about the condition of what should be a great course that has now been taken over by a group in Toronto. The course is falling into a bit of disrepair (Nova Scotians are used to it being well-maintained and with the Cabot courses close by our APCD'ers have their work cut out for them!) :laugh:

Of course right now the issue up here is fire-Northern BC and Alberta are often the location of summer fires, although this year they have been exceptionally large & deadly (smoke can be seen as far south as the US border) and, as far as Nova Scotia is concerned, fires are not nearly as common. The proximity to Halifax poses a real urban threat & firefighters are coming in from other countriest to help. This is something that usually happens only when local fire departments are overcome-Halifax is the largest city in the Maritimes (although relatively small by North American standards), so there is a real problem.
ColinC

Re: LINKS AT INGONISH & OTHER STUFF FROM UP HERE

Post by ColinC »

Hi Jimbo,

The worst part of the fires is that they are so early in the season and everywhere! We have had advisories in Toronto this week which we never usually get. That being said I still remember the awful smell from the big tire fire from when I lived in Hamilton back in the day.

I was in Calgary early May and somehow managed to come back a couple of days before the whole city was blanketed in smoke. They have a golf course right on the CTrain line that looked interesting. I wanted to play Banff but it opened for the season the week after I came back east.

We looked at playing Highlands Links the last time we were on Cape Breton in 2019 and even then the reviews about the course conditions were poor which is too bad. It looked nice enough from the road when we drove by. It's a long way from Sydney let alone Halifax. The Cabot courses look amazing, hopefully for another time maybe a trip to PEI as well...

P.S. Best hotel bar experience ever for me was having a pint of Guinness at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise sitting in front of a big picture window and looking out over the still frozen lake and mountains. Almost as good as golf! : )
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Colin-the Cabots are now rated in the Top Ten in Canada...the Cliffs are ranked Number One...I don't know if they're affected by the fire since Cape Breton is north of Halifax...the Canadian Open is going to be "interesting" but the US Open in Boston could really be in trouble...apparently the smoke is toxic.
bear2016

Post by bear2016 »

you're a year behind on the U.S. OPEN Jimbo. The U.S. OPEN is in Los Angelos this year not Boston.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

My bad-I was playing LIV.
But they come back to Ct. the next week...we can only hope...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

My bad-I was playing LIV.
But they come back to Ct. the next week...we can only hope...
BTW-alhough it's not in the line of fire (and believe there is no pun intended-seriously) I've been watching the Canadian Open (surprise, surprise) and things don't look bad.
...and Mike Weir made the cut. :fcrossed:
I'm not going to mention any other Canucks except to say that somebody has come out flying.. and the third round is just beginning.
Interesting that Stephen Ames took a pass-so did Davis Love-they're playing the Senior...oops...Legends tournament in Wisconsin.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

8 Canadians made the cut which sounds like a big number to me. I still remember the Weir-Singh playoff, it was heartbreaking. It rained much of Friday and the air is a LOT better today. A great weekend in Toronto for a golf tournament! :fcrossed:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Weir-Singh...I feel old! It's a good day so the course is at the mercy. of the players...but still Nick overcame a bad Thursday. and is the man to beat...and Corey hasn't teed off yet!

You're seeing the results of RBC'S investment in the future of the game in Canada-that blue and yellow crest on the sleeve stands for the Royal Bank of Canada (now rebranded as as all the Canadian banks). You'll also ee one or two Americans (RBC sponsors The Heritage).
Anyway full marks to RBC and the growing Army of Crazy Canucks.

As a fellow Canuck I have only one real complaint about th Canadian Open and I think I know why...the Canadian PGA has committed itself to playing at courses in the Greater Toronto-possibly to avoid conflicting with the Stanley Cup Playoffs but we're missing some wonderful courses, starting in BC (3 courses at Whistler), Bear Mountin on Vancouver Islandl and Shaughnessy (which will be gone in 10 years), Royal Montreal, Ottawa Hunt Club . Places like Capilano, Banff and Jasper would have to find a couple of hundred yards but would otherwise work, as would Silvertip. There are many others-but you'll only see them on the LPGA and Lends Tours.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Speaking of The Links at Ingonish, I just played a round there and about the only thing that has to be changed is the name-it was called Highlands Links and they recently changed it again to the Cape Breton Highlands Links. This is Thomson's masterpiece of the east (although not his only course there) and this is one of the Maritime courses that I mentioned. Although the town of Ingonish is about a 90 minute drive from Sydney it still has more accommodation than the Cabot courses which, although they're ranked higher are less accessible and are more Maritime resorts.

Anyway I'm not nitpicking,,,Dan Chisholm knocked this one right into the Atlantic! It's a fantastic rendition, especially given the face that was a 2K1 course...and although he said (and rightly so) that he didn't have much to go on, believe me he went all the way! Like I said, the only thing that's wrong is the name of the course (plus a couple of bunkers) and even if he'd given it the proper name at the time (Highlands Links), it would still be wrong today! :rofl:

Speaking of Dan-whatever happened to him? Unfortunately this looks like the only course he ever designed...unless he's part of the "Sage Group"...and I think that the course should have been given a much-and I mean MUCH-higher rating.

Dan, if you still visit this site, your contribution is missed!