Tobacco Road Golf Course

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
linkster

Tobacco Road Golf Course

Post by linkster »

I did a hi-res terrain import for Tobacco Road GC over the holidays for a designer request but it looks like it won't see any attention now. So I defined the tees and greens for the terrain and mapped 4 Google Earth textures to cover the course plot. The course is in a primitive state but it is playable in game. This is an interesting layout, one which I would not believe actually exists!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The best available LIDAR was from 2015 from the North Carolina spacial data website. It was not a standard USGS 1 meter DEM, it had pixel sizes of 3.125 feet. I did a grid of 6.25 ft with elevations precise to 0.01 feet and the APCD handled the import exactly. It was the first terrain import I did that had decimal feet for X and Y coordinates so that was very encouraging for the import process. There are 447,000 verts for the terrain. The Google Earth overlay was from 2015. There have been changes to the tees since then but the course looks to be the same now as in 2015.

Some from this community have played this course in real life so I am looking for feed back on if the LIDAR terrain import process produces accurate results. Hopefully someone takes an interest in this course to finish it for this incredible game!

I have a bunch of course terrain imports on my computer now. If there is serious interest in trying one of these, or any another course, in APCD just give me a shout. The terrain import process doesn't take a lot of time but finishing the course in APCD still takes a lot of work.
fiver

Re: Tobacco Road Golf Course

Post by fiver »

Linkster, that layout is spot on. The elevations are very accurate. The Greens slopes are really close. All we need now is a person to transform this layout into what it really is. Roughs, tall grasses, sand traps, waste areas and water areas.

Now all you need to do is set Tot Hill Farms golf course like you did Tobacco Road. Another Strantz course.
I want to thank you for getting this layout rolling. To bad Sage retired.

Jim :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

If you play too many rounds will it be bad for your health? :fear:
linkster

Post by linkster »

Awesome that the course terrain gets your approval Jim! The courses that I have imported so far look right when comparing to what I see on tv but I have not compared any to real life myself. This is encouraging that the LIDAR terrains are accurate as well as precise!

The DEM I used for the course was not a standard USGS DEM. To me it seemed a little wavy and jagged when looking at the greens. Most courses have smooth greens in the DEM so that may explain it if the green slopes are a little off.

Or maybe you were not reading your putts right anyway! :rofl:

I'll have a look at Tot Hill Farms golf course someday. Is there much interest in a course completed to this primitive level?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The previews of the hole look terrific! It should look beautiful in Links!

Pete
fiver

Post by fiver »

By the way, I forgot to mention the trees that need to be added. The overhead camera views of each hole are spot on. It would be awesome to see this course on Links!!!!! Please, someone. I am begging. :helpsmilie: :fcrossed:
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

I would also like to see this course in Links. There is a version of it in TW08 but it's not very good if you ask me. There is version of it in JN6 which is pretty good. It's remindfull of Pine Valley in NJ or Pinhurst where it is near. Here's one photo of it that was online.
Attachments
tocacco road.jpg
tocacco road.jpg (413.51 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
fiver

Post by fiver »

The infamous 18th hole!
linkster

Post by linkster »

Came across this the other day on YouTube. For some reason it is oddly satisfying watching real people play golf and not just the pros on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwdRc1bCdo
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm thinking that they might want to think of a new name..😉
Last edited by Jimbo on June 7th, 2023, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.