New Course - Boulder Ridge Golf Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
pmgolf

Re: New Course - Boulder Ridge Golf Club

Post by pmgolf »

Sage, here are the 2 Lez Marwick lessons that showed me how to eliminate tiling and also create seamless textures. I use Paint Shop Pro 7.0, and Lez uses Adobe Photoshop, but the concept is the same. Let me know what you think!

Episode 51. Creating seamless textures (Part 1) http://youtu.be/qPp_LGlfgh8

Episode 52. Creating seamless textures (Part 2) http://youtu.be/lonOau0W30E

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: October 24th, 2022, 8:54 pm Sage, here are the 2 Lez Marwick lessons that showed me how to eliminate tiling and also create seamless textures. I use Paint Shop Pro 7.0, and Lez uses Adobe Photoshop, but the concept is the same. Let me know what you think!

Episode 51. Creating seamless textures (Part 1) http://youtu.be/qPp_LGlfgh8

Episode 52. Creating seamless textures (Part 2) http://youtu.be/lonOau0W30E

Pete
Hi Pete...

I've been a Paint Shop Pro 7 user for many years. It's my favorite go-to Paint program. However, I don't recall finding an option for making "seamless" textures in it. I use PhotoShop 2020 for that function. Can you tell me how you do it with PSP 7? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sagevanni wrote: October 24th, 2022, 6:59 am Hi pmgolf,

I've been wanting to know how to remove tiling for years now. How do I do it?

Sage........ :dunno:
One of the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with. It takes a special talent and a special eye. I still cannot get it right. Lez is the best I've ever seen at it. An amazing talent! :notworthy:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
linkster

Post by linkster »

Hi Sage

Using extrusions for seam blends is definitely the fastest way. I don't use extrusions enough for seam blends because I like the clean look of the mesh in APCD when adding verts and turning edges. I quickly ran into problems using extrusions for seam blends when I pulled apart the verts so that they didn't overlap. This created a flat spot in the terrain. As long as you keep the extrusion verts close to each other you won't alter the terrain elevation details any significant amount.

By the way, I just had my own personal fight with edge defects. It happened when doing a "double" extrusion for a bunker edge seam blend. The issue seems to be caused when verts are tightly spaced in the X,Y axis but spread out in the Z axis. Seems like the terrain rendering can't handle soft edges with shadows and tightly spaced verts. Edge defects are not caused by seam blend textures; I hadn't even started seam blending yet. I caught the issue early and it went away when deleting the extra verts. Hopefully this will help avoid any future problems.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to teeing it up there soon! :cheers1:
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

linkster wrote: October 25th, 2022, 12:21 am I quickly ran into problems using extrusions for seam blends when I pulled apart the verts so that they didn't overlap. This created a flat spot in the terrain. As long as you keep the extrusion verts close to each other you won't alter the terrain elevation details any significant amount.
Linkster, What am i missing here? What do you mean by pull apart the verts? That seems like a lot of unecessary work.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Sage,
The course looks stunning.

The areas of "scrub" on the rocks looks very authentically located. Was this clearly defined on your overhead or did you add them yourself? If the latter, can you offer me any tips? :cheers1:

Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

All the rock formations are as they are as close as I can get them to the real thing. I am not going to do every rock but enough to make it close to the real thing.

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Think good old Sage lnows the eyes of the world are on him on this one !....any chance you might consider a different fairway texture choice for the fairways I wonder to myself...checked some Youtube vids of the course....be great if you got as close to IRL texture as possible...maybe even up a notch a design a custom texture....Monk has what looks like a sun bleached texture on his fairways...looks off the chart....long live Carnoustie...play'd a round on Carnoustie today....the detail on the fairways is fantastic....!...the vids of Boulder display a different texture ..than the present...keep up the good work....Best of luck with it... :fcrossed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1iIzcuvmGk&t=109s
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I've watched several videos of play on the course and all are different in terms of color of features on and around the course. Things will be sorted to the best of everyone's ability that will be involved in bringing the course to life.

Sage.............. :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Great news...Best of luck with it...reckon this could be Sages entry into the big leagues... :clapping: