Carnoustie 2022

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Re: Carnoustie 2022

Post by Pete »

Great job on the final, many thanks :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
radiodj

Post by radiodj »

Boy, I sure second this one. You can sure tell some work went into it. Thank you so much for your time and course.

DJ
Ben Jammin

Post by Ben Jammin »

I must admit this has never been one of my favorites. This final though is outstanding! Thanks for your fine work :clapping:
MrT

Post by MrT »

Thank you for this great course. Very grateful. :tiphat:
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

The addition of the perfectly scaled crowds = fantastic, do I hear a round of applause..yes I do...take a bow Pete Monk...some of the finest modelled and textured fairways' I have ever seen on a course...SUBLIME *...hope Linkster takes a note of these these textures/seamblending for his St Andrews....fairways and greens ..PERFECTION

Hole 12 suspect tree looks out of place mid fairway to the left at tee off just past the second crowd grouping

Hole 14 the two trees either side could be improved upon at tee off...quite blurry

The cars on the 18th should be reduced in scale by 40/50 percent but I think the hole would be much improved/benefit if they where removed they detract from the hole, particularly in reverse cam replay, the updated texture to the clubhouse looks wonderful, fantastic to see a greatly improved mix of grasses all over the course, in places the course looks magnificent...the bunkers look terrific also..the way you mixed grasses on them..and epxosed more sand in some..it is wonderful to see a designer put his heart and soul into a course..which is clearly evident here...a few very minor quibbles as mentioned above..but all in all ...Mr Monk has not dis-appointed us in the slightest..a magnificent piece of work...one of the finer real courses in the Links 2k3 archives..what is wonderful is..this is a current designer..so what if the old maestros have deserted the fold ( the R Millers and Mike Jones's etc) Pete Monk is banging on the door of this guys in my view...throw yourself amongst the heavyweights son...top draw course !! hugely replayable...

PS the 3d/2d houses on the 18th are sublime...as indeed they are all over..The improved brickwork texture was a master-stroke - up's the course a to another level entirely - great work..other than a couple of very minor quibbles - Masterpiece :clapping:
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Pete, you might want to check the properties of Hole 3's bunker in front of the green, I purposefully placed the ball in the bunker, I took various shots types from in there, 1/the ball physics when hitting the lip of the bunker on several occasions behaved kind of wierdly (when the ball was catching the lip it seemed as though the ball was actually shooting through the lip completely with little or no resistance at all) 2/ I viewed the various shot types in reverse cam replay, the golfer was viewed/placed completely outside the bunker (in replay the golfer was actually standing/swinging on the green itself - whether this is some anomaly with Links 2k3 I don't know...may have something to do with the way you have set up the camera for that particular hole, when playing/testing yesterday all other bunkers seemed have behaved properly - great work... :thumbup:
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi all

thanks for all the lovely comments.
Feedback is key to producing a course.
I agree that the pano needed improvement and the burn wall too. I'm very pleased with the new wall and I've managed to get reflections without the unsightly gap between wall and reflection.
Morvio, hole 12 do you mean the tree I've ringed in the piccie?
and hole 14 the ringed ones?
I've tried to improve by changing the tree on 12 and moving the trees on 14 so they are out of vision.
The cars on 18 have been rescaled too.
I dont think I'll resubmit the "new" course until later. I'm waiting for the LIDAR guys to survey that area then I'll use Linkster's contour technique to contour the greens accurately, then I'll resubmit.

Thanks muchly
Peter (ponkey)

Just seen your latest post.

I played the hole and yes I got the same, the ball seemed to pass through the bunkerwall and in reverse cam mode the player was standing on the green. Tried several times again but could recreate it.
I havent set up any camera views there, I'm sure if we can.
I've checked the texture properties and all seems good.

Maybe someone else has had the same and has an idea of what it is.
Attachments
hole 12.jpg
hole 12.jpg (379.03 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
new hole 12.jpg
new hole 12.jpg (395.41 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
hole 14.jpg
hole 14.jpg (395 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
ne whole 14.jpg
ne whole 14.jpg (371.87 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
hole 18.jpg
hole 18.jpg (321.48 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Pete, yes ..you have ringed the exact trees I was referring to, but tbh the trees we are talking about look great in their placement, its just the one on 12 seemed to look a little out place(it unnecessary looked out of place - seemed to have green bark and had a kind of halo effect surrounding it- that tree is planted in other locations around the course but its not as evidentially out place because its better blended with other tree types)) - personally what I think you should do on 12, is keep a tree there..(just replace it with a tree of some sort with finely defined foliage - you have lots of great trees to choose from around the course) - basically that hole 12 looks better with a tree planted there - just source one of your better ones is all - regards 14 - the very same applies - just get 2 trees with better divined foliage is all - but in my view keeps them on 14 also..regards the bunker - I agree with you bit of an anomaly there - unfortunately ....I would say do your best to remedy it as best you can, as there is a strong likeyhood people are going to find themselves in that bunker quite a bit I would imagine...great work :thumbup:

ps The planting of that burgandy thrush shurbery/grass on 6/7 look fantastic...up to you whether or not you want to remove those trees Pete..maybe find some better trees (post a few screenies of them) and I'll let you know whether or not the new trees some remain or just go without trees on both those)
MrT

Post by MrT »

morvio100 wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 1:18 pm Hey Pete, you might want to check the properties of Hole 3's bunker in front of the green, I purposefully placed the ball in the bunker, I took various shots types from in there, 1/the ball physics when hitting the lip of the bunker on several occasions behaved kind of wierdly (when the ball was catching the lip it seemed as though the ball was actually shooting through the lip completely with little or no resistance at all) 2/ I viewed the various shot types in reverse cam replay, the golfer was viewed/placed completely outside the bunker (in replay the golfer was actually standing/swinging on the green itself - whether this is some anomaly with Links 2k3 I don't know...may have something to do with the way you have set up the camera for that particular hole, when playing/testing yesterday all other bunkers seemed have behaved properly - great work... :thumbup:
I agree.. I did not put the ball there on purpose but, aside from that, I experienced the same feeling. It is a deep bunker, but the way the balls travels and moves around, is bizarre. I got out of the banker, but I swear I other 700 games, I never saw a ball moving like out out of sand bunker. I went back there in Practice Mode and took many shots. Definitely will not kill a game, but it feels unnatural and it seems to be attracted to the right side even if I tried to hit left on purpose.Quite to the left even. Also the ball, once on the green, traveled at a speed that left me speechless (I was in M/Fc , but it looked like it was moving similar to when I play in F/Fc) and despite barely finding the green past the bunker, the ball rolled all the way to the other side of the green. It did the same even after I reduced the power to be barely enough to clear the fringe.

Other than that, I did not notice any that surprised me. I read about a couple of trees, but maybe just I did not get that issue this time. Maybe the next one.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi Morvio

Not a clue what's causing the bunker anomaly, but I've changed the texture and it seems like it's behaving better.
I could only get it to do the silly thing with the explode stroke, when I used a chip the ball seems to behave better.

Here's another anomaly.
In the big bunker on the 17th to the right of the green.

What's going on here?

Who'd be a designer !!!!!
Attachments
hole17.jpg
hole17.jpg (399.76 KiB) Viewed 2144 times