Carnoustie 2022

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Carnoustie 2022

Post by gene_golf »

ponkey wrote: September 4th, 2022, 8:48 pm Hi Morvio

Not a clue what's causing the bunker anomaly, but I've changed the texture and it seems like it's behaving better.
I could only get it to do the silly thing with the explode stroke, when I used a chip the ball seems to behave better.

Here's another anomaly.
In the big bunker on the 17th to the right of the green.

What's going on here?

Who'd be a designer !!!!!
The essence of being in a pot bunker. Very seldom is there a good lie as find lie either too far up near front or in back probably on a downhill lie making for almost impossibility of getting near hole from greenside pot also not be able to put next shot on green from a fairway pot. Logic sometimes means playing out sideways or backwards. Links when playing closeup view does not show lie if also plugged from behind if in back of pot as your screenshot shows. Playing a lob wedge and flopping shot gets ball up quickly where 2 click going up to 12 o'clock goes about 15 yards from flat lie in pot and somewhat less than that with doing the flop.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Pete, regards the bunker issue's ...it seems is being a bit awkward to solve....gene_golf makes a good point about typically a player would play out sideways.or backward....Mr T makes an even more valid one when he highlighted at what speed the ball travels at once it hits the green surface (I eperienced that also)....tbh my own view is you'll likely solve it by tinkering with the propeties ...remember the player should posses the opportuinity to "choose" whatever which way they decide to exit the bunker...eg if the player wants to go kamikaze with a reduced powred flop/stright up wedge or whaterve...in the the hope they catch the lip....so be it...in the real world scenario the ball when catching the lip with too much power ... is likely to ricocet violenty upward or indeed behind the player...not pass through the lip and accelerate ..there is likely to be another designer on here ...who has had similar prob with what your expeiencing...alternatively ..dare i say it ...could it be the +great Link2k3 physics letting you down...I doubt that tbh....my guess is ..the prob is linked to the texture somehow...keep testing you'll solve it ..or a fellow designer will help you solve...keep up the good work.... :thumbup:

PS might be worth while double-checking that there is no minor separation of verts in the mesh...regards the 17th ...again think you had a similar issue on 3.(regards the replay)..which ever way the sim is setting up the camera position...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Pete...just wondering ...did you manage to solve the bunker issue...I've noticed quite alot of bunkers have issue....it seems to be when the ball...catches the bunker wall...AT A CERTAIN VELOCITY....A SLOW TO MID RANGE VELOCITY...the ball skips through the texture (the bunker wall texture...and accelerates to some degree...maybe you could update when possible...the issue is the only thing detracting from the course...+1
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I haven't had a chance to play it (and by prior arrangement this isn't a Nitpick-although it wasn't anyway) but I love it when you can actually see what surrounds a links course (like houses and other real estate!) :thumbup:
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi

Re the bunker problem...... I haven't been able to solve the problem, possibly because it might be a Links2003 problem. I changed the texture for known good ones and got the same result at times. I have played other courses, Turnberry and Troon, courses with deep bunkers and the same happens in their bunkers. I've made the "offending" bunker less deep but the ball seems to run up the face and out rather than through the face. I think it's the best we are going to get with this ancient Microsoft product. :mad:
Peter
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Good to see the Monkster is alive and well...we all thought Stanley Kubrick had captured the Monkster....apparently Lloyd *the bartender in the Overlook Hotel...is actually Robert Miller....still a great coirse Pete...take a bow.... :clapping:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I hate to nitpick out of season but you forgot the logo!

https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/ ... tion=click

BTW-I didn't have a chance to read all the threads but has anybody mentioned the clubhouse? :notworthy:
gator

Post by gator »

I just downloaded 'Carnoustie 2022 Final' (ID# 2745) and the resulting file does not match the Course ID and Course Key listed on the course's page (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2745). It does match the Course ID and Course Key for 'Carnoustie 2022' (ID# 2739) on that course's page (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2739).
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I know that I promised not to nitpick-and this doesn't involve the course-it's a fantisticpiece of work, including the clubhouse...
...but the one thing that's missing is some kind of picture on the opening page (like the course logo or something with the Scottish flag. That's the final touch-there are tons of logo pictures on the net-or see my previous post.

Right fellow Linksters?

This is an unofficial nitpick.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

gator wrote: December 13th, 2022, 8:09 pm I just downloaded 'Carnoustie 2022 Final' (ID# 2745) and the resulting file does not match the Course ID and Course Key listed on the course's page (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2745). It does match the Course ID and Course Key for 'Carnoustie 2022' (ID# 2739) on that course's page (https://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=2739).
I'm guessing Peter uploaded the wrong zipfile to WeTransfer. I'll suspend the course entry until it's all sorted out.