List Of Older Courses That Could Be Updated Cont....

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
1PuttJeff

List Of Older Courses That Could Be Updated Cont....

Post by 1PuttJeff »

A while ago, someone on Links Corner posted an interesting query about older Links courses that could be updated and I thought it would be helpful to include courses on my hard drive to that list. Many of the courses included on this list still hold-up very well even though some are now over twenty years-old. The purpose of this list is to help Links Community members who enjoy creating and designing courses ideas for updating older courses.

Links Courses:

* Apple Tree (2001) Jack Hartt
* Arrowhead (2001) Art Patscheck
* Augusta National (2009) Andrew Jones
* Augusta National Par-3 Course (2006)
* Autumn Valley (2001) Wayne Hewitt
* Avocet at Wild Wing (2003) Art Patscheck
* Barton Creek (2003) Microsoft
* Blackstone National (2001) Bob Fournier
* Bountiful (2000) Microsoft
* Burnt Pine at Sandestin (2005) Lacy Gerhart & Chris Gormley
* Callaway Gardens (2003) Chas Demster
* Chateau Whistler (2003) Microsoft
* Classic Club (2003) Matt Henry
* Cog Hill No.4 (2003) Tim Hagen
* Congressional (2011) Andrew Jones
* Covered Bridge (2003) Microsoft
* Entrada at Snow Canyon (2003) Microsoft
* Greenbrier The Old White (2003) John Brooks
* Hapuna (2003) Microsoft
* Latrobe Summer & Fall Versions (2000) Microsoft
* Le Versant (2001) Lloyd Henchey
* Medinah #3 (2005) John Pineda
* Oakland Hills South (2003) Steve Avery
* Oakmont (2010) Scott Lewin
* Otter Creek (2003) Tom Krekeler
* Pebble Beach (2004) Chuck Clark
* Pelican Hill (2003) Microsoft
* Phoenix C.C. (2003) Microsoft
* Pinehurst #2 (2008) Robert Miller
* Pinehust #8 (2001) Microsoft
* Prairie Dunes (2008) Stever Avery
* Riviera C.C. (2006) Chuck Clark & Pat Auge
* Robert Trent Jones Judge Course (2003) Microsoft
* St. Andrews Old Course (2003) Stewart Parker
* St. Andrews New Course (2001) Microsoft
* St. Andrews Jubilee Course (2001) Microsoft
* Talon Course at Grayhawk (2001) John Andersen
* Thanksgiving Point (2003) Microsoft
* The Canyons at Bighorn (2003) Microsoft
* The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island (2003) G.D. Taylor
* The Stone Canyon Club (2003) Microsoft
* Torrey Pines South (2013) Chuck Clark, Joe Otto & Matt MacIntosh
* TPC at The Woodlands (2005) Alan Price, David Russell & Ross MacKenzie
* The Blue Monster at Doral (2011) Glenn Braden
* The Tribute Course at Otsego (2003) Microsoft
* Troon North (2003) Microsoft
* Whitemud Creek (2001) Clement Lo
pmgolf

Re: List Of Older Courses That Could Be Updated Cont....

Post by pmgolf »

Problem 1: They were probably built using an early version of the APCD.
Problem 2: There is no way Microsoft is going to give anyone permission to mess with any courses that they show as building.
It's just a guess, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to make new courses instead. Many of those courses are closer to 30 than 20, I imagine, and the newer version of the APCD can build a lot more realistic-looking course than the older one could. I sure did love them back in their day, though!

Pete
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Problem 3: The ratio of great designers to the number of clubs is a little low...I'd say most of them are working on either their own custom designs or new real courses...although I have seen a couple of remakes of old courses, but just a couple.

Of course we don't really know how many designers go by the name of "Sage", do we? :whistle:
...and as always I love to nitpick the real courses... :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

1PuttJeff wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:49 pm* St. Andrews Old Course (2003) Stewart Parker
This one stands out from the rest for a couple reasons:
-Unlike most of the others, the designer is probably not impossible to get in contact with.
-Unlike most of the others, the course is not locked.
-Unlike most of the others, this one has a real-life Major tournament coming up very soon.

So a new version without having to start from scratch is probably not completely unthinkable. What in particular is it about the course that you'd like to see updated?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

PM,

Thanks for your reply to my recent post about course updates for older Links courses!

Yes, you made some very good points about updating the courses I listed. In my original post, I forgot to mention that if anyone wanted to start from scratch on any of these courses, that would be okay too. As you stated, it would be more practical and easier to do that since many of these courses are pretty old now. I just thought that if any Links designers saw this list, it would give them an incentive to possibly want to try designing these courses on their own.

Jeff

pmgolf wrote: June 1st, 2022, 9:11 pm Problem 1: They were probably built using an early version of the APCD.
Problem 2: There is no way Microsoft is going to give anyone permission to mess with any courses that they show as building.
It's just a guess, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to make new courses instead. Many of those courses are closer to 30 than 20, I imagine, and the newer version of the APCD can build a lot more realistic-looking course than the older one could. I sure did love them back in their day, though!

Pete
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Most people who create courses with the APCD have great courses that they are already doing or ones that they plan on doing. But if you really want to influence someone into doing a course, try this:

1. Find a course that is displayed in 3D in Google Earth. This will allow plenty of detail for the course designer, without which the job would be much, much more difficult! (Example: Austin CC in Texas. Go into Google Earth and look at it.)

2. Check the web page for the course. The designer will want hole flyovers or some kind of hole by hole detail. The better the information, the better job the course designer can do. Some photographs would be nice, also.

3. A course with some degree of fame.

Just recommending a course won't do it unless you have naked pictures of his wife - or - certified documents that prove the designer in question is, in reality, an alien. :smile:

Pete
gator

Post by gator »

pmgolf wrote: June 5th, 2022, 6:32 pm ... unless you have naked pictures of his wife - or - certified documents that prove the designer in question is, in reality, an alien. :smile:

Pete
That's funny (or in intergalactic Klingon - tlhaQbe')! :rofl:

Leo
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Pete,

Thanks for your feedback again on encouraging some Links course designers to try to create the older courses I mentioned in my original post! Yes, I can understand how it would be much easier to provide as much information possible to help in designing a course for Links. All of the designers do such a great job and I appreciate all of the time and hard work they put into creating a Links course. Haha, I am afraid I don't have any nude photos of anyone's wife, but I like your sense of humor! :rofl:

Jeff

pmgolf wrote: June 5th, 2022, 6:32 pm Most people who create courses with the APCD have great courses that they are already doing or ones that they plan on doing. But if you really want to influence someone into doing a course, try this:

1. Find a course that is displayed in 3D in Google Earth. This will allow plenty of detail for the course designer, without which the job would be much, much more difficult! (Example: Austin CC in Texas. Go into Google Earth and look at it.)

2. Check the web page for the course. The designer will want hole flyovers or some kind of hole by hole detail. The better the information, the better job the course designer can do. Some photographs would be nice, also.

3. A course with some degree of fame.

Just recommending a course won't do it unless you have naked pictures of his wife - or - certified documents that prove the designer in question is, in reality, an alien. :smile:

Pete
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

any course(s) attributted to microsoft will need a brand new version of that course made.
the microsoft course(s) are LOCKED!!!
1PuttJeff

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Woody,

Thanks for your reply to my message!

Yes, I realize that any "locked" Microsoft courses would need their approval before an update could be made. I just wanted to present this list of courses to help any Links course designers with possibly designing their own versions from scratch.

Jeff