Question re - 3d grass - Shadows

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
morvio100

Re: Question re - 3d grass - Shadows

Post by morvio100 »

Thanks for the input Dan....I think I understand now as to the importance of file size reduction, get what your saying regards the age of the open access and its inherent limitations, this post(enquiry) should probably have been placed in the designers corner initially, I was just unsure as to whether the engine had the ability to pick up the ball location/proximity to any given object, thus it would then load (a near LOD texture) that would be stored within the .crz...caveat I'm a newbie..i have not really have had time to look into the APCD in any real depth..but probably will at some future date, regards the shadow generation and its inherent limitations, looks like the engine limitations simply don't allow that level of sophiscation... ...understandable considering its age I guess...I found an interesting vid on youtube that may/or most probably not be of some use to you designer maestros out there that uses lidar data I think to construct the base level ground structure(base topograpy) the data is then ported, and a solid object/3d/2d is then generated,

links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W3X78bMkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biX40B4_WB4

There is some interesting vids on that channel that may offer some use, but as I said..most probably not(file size will more than likely come into play), lol...mucho respecto to all your designer maestro's out there keep hacking away at the APCD.... :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: May 21st, 2022, 9:10 am Thanks for the input Dan....I think I understand now as to the importance of file size reduction, get what your saying regards the age of the open access and its inherent limitations, this post(enquiry) should probably have been placed in the designers corner initially, I was just unsure as to whether the engine had the ability to pick up the ball location/proximity to any given object, thus it would then load (a near LOD texture) that would be stored within the .crz...caveat I'm a newbie..i have not really have had time to look into the APCD in any real depth..but probably will at some future date, regards the shadow generation and its inherent limitations, looks like the engine limitations simply don't allow that level of sophiscation... ...understandable considering its age I guess...I found an interesting vid on youtube that may/or most probably not be of some use to you designer maestros out there that uses lidar data I think to construct the base level ground structure(base topograpy) the data is then ported, and a solid object/3d/2d is then generated,

links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W3X78bMkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biX40B4_WB4

There is some interesting vids on that channel that may offer some use, but as I said..most probably not(file size will more than likely come into play), lol...mucho respecto to all your designer maestro's out there keep hacking away at the APCD.... :cheers1:
Thanks morvio100. Interesting stuff there. I think someone tried the Google Earth method, but I'm not sure how it worked for them. Also, I would imagine it would take somewhat of an investment in the software programs needed to create the lidar contours, or if there is any way to convert it for use in the APCD. :dunno:

Thanks again for your input.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

...no probs...there's likely sneaky ways to get whatever software needed.... :oops: ... :thumbup:

ps: https://equatorstudios.com/golf-map-app/

// https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html / interesting software

// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRWS_azaUrk

all software needed is on that page...however links's file size issue, would likely prove a serious torn in the shoe(also file type conversion would likely prove a bit of nightmare)...maybe worth looking at though...keep up the good work Dan..

pps...also worthy of some consideration..would be some level of communication with this fiverr seller....
https://www.fiverr.com/mhertz_gis/digit ... lidar-data

....might take alot of the grunt work out of building a real course...best of luck...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

The key would be for someone to figure out how to convert the lidar data into DEM format, which is what APCD can accept. I've no clue if that would be at all possible, but it would be extremely valuable (for courses that have Lidar data available, that is). Otherwise you still have to put in the elevations into APCD manually at the end of the day, and I kind of fail to see how that would save time compared to the GE method(?)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: May 21st, 2022, 8:30 pm The key would be for someone to figure out how to convert the lidar data into DEM format, which is what APCD can accept. I've no clue if that would be at all possible, but it would be extremely valuable (for courses that have Lidar data available, that is). Otherwise you still have to put in the elevations into APCD manually at the end of the day, and I kind of fail to see how that would save time compared to the GE method(?)
Hi Adelade. From a quick Google search I was able to determine that LIDAR data can be converted to DEM. I didn't take the time to learn how, but I saw multiple confirmations that say it can be done.

You Tube also has several videos on it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +format%3F

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thats interesting. The real courses I might be interested in making in the future dont have Lidar available (at least not from the OpenTopography website), but I see that I could have tried it for Austin if I'd known at the time. For anyone starting up real courses from the US, I think it would definitely be worth checking out.

I have never imported a DEM, I feel like I once saw reference to some guide for it but I dont know if I recall correct about that, I might have something like that saved among my files but I cant check right now. For one thing, a comment on these forums mentions that the files have to be "7.5 DEM" (whatever that means) for APCD to accept it: viewtopic.php?p=671#p671 . I also remember that the APCD mod (sometimes called the 3D clone tool) was said to have some added functionality in regards to DEMs, but I dont remember what exactly.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey guys...regards getting to a dem...the issue is likely to take a bit of digging...below is a link that might prove of some use...

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFfiSHNqAhs

using lidar data from arcgis pro...you will find help info on the the dare I say it TGC forums...several designers on there have succeeded in creating real courses using lidar/point cloud..I have not investigated really tbh....the designers on there don't how the technical knowledge you guys have so I'm sure with sufficient research you guys may come up lucky and find the winning formula...to create an almost inch perfect realistic real course in links2k3...links2k3 will then boast the most advanced physics..AND ...the most accrucate real courses available on the net..its likely to be an uphill struggle...but wish you guys the best.. :thumbup: ...caveat... I still think file compression?/file size issue with links2k3 will prove a very big hurdle...!!... :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thanks for all that info morvio100! :thumbup:

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

.... :thumbup:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

The way I heard it, is that unlike APCD, the course designer program for the TGC series was made to (or perhaps modded to) be able to import Lidar data straight away. And if thats true, Im guessing those guys on the TGC forums would not be able to help in terms of what APCD needs.

I didnt watch the videos, but I think its also worth keeping in mind that there is such a thing as too many elevation points. It might be very messy to work with in APCD if the elevation points are too dense, at least if they are so everywhere.