British Open 2018 Carnoustie BETA

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: British Open 2018 Carnoustie BETA

Post by gene_golf »

Adelade wrote: March 18th, 2022, 6:58 am You cant make drop areas in which the ball will be dropped (I mean, you can make them visually, but there is no way to tell the game that it needs to assign drops to there) but you can make areas from which free drop will be had if the player ends up there. Links 2003 is always going to decide on its own where the drop will be taken, as a designer you cant really do anything about that, all you can do is change which areas result in drop and which are play areas, and thereby in some cases you might be able to somewhat guide/influence where Links will put the drop. For example, if you're worried that the game in some situations might force the player to take a drop in the deep grass right beside a creek, you can make the deep grass into a hazard as well, then that wont happen. A lot of the time, there will be no fully perfect solutions because of how the drop "rules" work in Links.
Thanks for your input Adelade. Bottom line a drop zone is possible for hole #18 if texture area under left greenside grandstands is set for free drop. If go backwards within width lines acceptable to where hit prior shot from and find all rough or the burn that Links will not allow dropping into such a hazard, then might draw in tee or fairway area that player will most certainly choose as place to use free drop that being if not see a portion of fairway already existing. This is a possible way to improvise having a free drop zone within confines of Links' constraints for design and play. The carom out from hitting into grandstands would still be a possibility that Peter Monk might can decide as the way course will be played. As mentioned there are two ways to go besides not just declaring grandstands being OOB.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi gene_golf,

the left greenside grandstand at the 18th is Out of bounds. The green stakes are the OOB line. You do not get a free drop if your ball is in the stands that are out of bounds. The other grandstands around the 18th are made of free drop material and are standing on free drop textures around them so that if your ball goes very close to the stands you can use the free drop to move to a place where you can see the player making the swing. It's not always going to work perfectly but we are working with Microsoft programmes and we all know how bad they are !

many thanks for your input
Peter
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

ponkey wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:32 pm Hi gene_golf,

the left greenside grandstand at the 18th is Out of bounds. The green stakes are the OOB line. You do not get a free drop if your ball is in the stands that are out of bounds. The other grandstands around the 18th are made of free drop material and are standing on free drop textures around them so that if your ball goes very close to the stands you can use the free drop to move to a place where you can see the player making the swing. It's not always going to work perfectly but we are working with Microsoft programmes and we all know how bad they are !

many thanks for your input
Peter
I had not remembered green stakes as being OOB and had to look it up as thought white stakes designated OOB. Green stakes from what found out show environmentally sensitive areas to where not able to go in and play shot.
"Green Stakes: Rare, used to denote environmentally sensitive areas (ESA). Check your scorecard or Conditions of Competition—ESAs should be prominently posted because entering such areas is often a matter of federal regulation."
Given that whole area would be that way then OOB would be correct choice at Carnoustie to where shot and distance penalty would apply.
https://www.liveabout.com/meaning-of-co ... tems...%20
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi gene_golf

Yes sorry, don't know why carnoustie don't use white posts there or at least some white ones to show oob. They do down the side of the 6th and 7th.

Peter
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Peter-I just took another look at the club flyover of 7, 8 and 9. The o/b stakes on #7 and #8 appear to be linked by wire fencing, using smaller brown stakes in between the white ones and the stakes on #9 are mostly hidden by the trees, but my guess is that that fence surrounds the course, because of the Budden.
This is the current setup at Carnoustie and not necessarily what was in place for the 2018 Open.
The Burnside Course wanders around within the boundaries of the Championship Course (causing the interior o/b's and the Budden Course is the one that surrounds the Championship Course, causing the o/b's to the left on 7, 8 and 9.
Someday somebody might... :whistle:
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Aaah now I see what you're seeing Jimbo.
Those flyovers are not actual flyovers with a drone, they are mock ups, and it looks like they were done quite a while ago. If you watch Rick Shiels and Eve Muirhead ( the gold medallist in the recent winter Olympics in curling) doing their pre open previews of each hole you'll see that the stakes down the side of 6,7 and 8 are green interspersed with the occasional white ones. They are linked by wires but that would be too difficult to render. The green stakes aren't as bright as mine I will admit. The ones on 18 might well be black again connected by wires. I'll have another look at those. I use actual footage of the 2018 open and Rick and Eve's previews as my reference points. That's where the crowd, cameramen, Marshall's came from.

Many thanks
Peter
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Peter-please show me the link...Eve is my favourite non-Canadian female curler!!! I hear that she plays a pretty mean bagpipe too! ❤❤❤
Jennifer Jones is my favourite Canadian female curler - at least the Olympics weren't a total loss.
Last edited by Jimbo on March 20th, 2022, 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I don't suppose that you could have fans surrounding you on the 18th fairway?😉
That's my final nit-pick!