Favourite Courses of 2021

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Favourite Courses of 2021

Post by Adelade »

If counting all released versions (that havent been completely removed from the official list) there were 78 courses released during 2021, thank you everyone who contributed
:cheers1:

That is less than the strong year of 2020 - not unexpected - but still more than 2019. Of course raw quantity isnt whats most important, and lately it has mostly been a reflection on how active Sage & John Brooks in particular have been :tongue: but it still often gives a good indication of the overall APCD activity. I felt like there was quite a dreary period of time somewhere in the first half of the year, where I was a bit worried it'd be a depressing year, but thankfully things picked up nicely again with some excellent additions! In this thread I want to celebrate my personal favourite courses of the year, and I also invite anyone else to post about theirs. I bet there are people who havent had time to check out all courses of the year, so this thread might serve as a good recommendation of courses for people to check out.

I made a Course-of-the-Year thread last year, but no one seemed interested in the idea (until a month later, after I'd already given up on it), so I just made a post about my personal favourites instead (my post last year: viewtopic.php?p=8523#p8523 ) and so this year Im doing that from the beginning instead.

My definition is my overall favourite courses, which doesnt necessarily mean that courses not included here were not well-made in APCD, how the layout plays is a really big part of it for me. I also primarily only include courses that had their first full (or equivalent enough to full-) release during the year. Updates of past courses are no less important in my opinion and deserve to be celebrated too, but I put those in a separate category.

My favourite courses of 2021 (in no particular order, and as per my definition above):
St. George G&CC by Sage Vanni and Glenn Braden, aided by Leo Allen
Pasatiempo by Ian Wells
Sherwood CC by Sage Vanni, Glenn Braden and Leo Allen
Stone Bridge GC by Sage Vanni
Coeur D'Alene by Dan DeShaney

:clapping: :clapping: To all the above. Do check them out if you havent already!

Honourable mention to Long River, and Desolate Dunes. Also Coyote Lakes (for people who dont mind one or two greens lacking any pin fully realistic/enjoyable on challenging green settings), and Jollyville (for people who dont mind courses being very short). All four by Sage Vanni.

I always avoid including my own courses, because that would feel too awkward, but for the purpose of course suggestions, I couldnt skip recommending checking out at least my Nine Bridges at Jeju Island :whistle:

There are also two courses which are in a gray area over whether they should "qualify" or not, since most of their work was done over 10 years ago, and therefore sort of technically are updates (so in the end Im deciding to keep them out of my main Course-of-the-Year category). But they had their first official upload this year, and I think it would be nearly criminal to skip checking them out!
Waialae CC 2021 - by Tim Hagen
Kauri Cliffs HD - by Lindsay Addie and Pat Auge (and completed by me...)

My favourite Updates of the year:
Valderrama by Pete Massengill
TPC Deere Run by Glenn Braden
I also want to mention Lez Marwick's two updates, because even if those layouts were too unrealistic/unimmersive for my personal taste in courses, I bet people who dont mind that aspect will like them a lot.

:cheers1:
Thank you so much for all the excellent additions this year everyone :clapping: there were a bunch of other good ones beyond those mentioned too.

And my personal Course Of The Year 2021 award goes to......... Coeur D'Alene! :clapping: Pasatiempo a very worthy runner-up :clapping:

[Edit: One thing I did miss a bit this year, was how almost none my favourite additions to my course collection (including all releases) were courses with above average difficulty, and many were more than a little easy. Still, a pretty good year :smile:]

We have a few really good courses that might come out very soon too... I think 2022 will get off to a good start :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Re: Favourite Courses of 2021

Post by pmgolf »

Looking over all the releases for 2021, I narrowed them down to the ones that had a significant impact on my enjoyment of Links. Listed in release date order, they are:

Coeur d'Alene Golf Resort - Dan DeShaney
Kauri Cliffs HD Final - Lindsay Addie, Pat Auge, Adelade
Nine Bridges at Jeju Island - Adelade
Pasatiempo GC FINAL - Ian Wells
TPC Deere Run Classic - Glenn Braden

It's amazing to me that after all these years, we still have such high-quality courses being released for our game. It's a really close call between those candidates, but if I have to pick one it would be...

Pasatiempo GC FINAL by Ian Wells.

Pete
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thank you Adelade and Everyone,

I try along with others to keep the game alive and interesting. I have a good time doing it.

Thanks to everyone here...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone have a GREAT New Year...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage..... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

sagevanni wrote: January 1st, 2022, 1:59 pm Thank you Adelade and Everyone,

I try along with others to keep the game alive and interesting. I have a good time doing it.

What he said!

Glenn :thumbup:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

sagevanni wrote: ↑Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:59 pm
Thank you Adelade and Everyone,

What he said!

Glenn :thumbup:
What they said, plus a thank you to Pete :tiphat:

Ian
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I am "somewhat prejudiced"😄 but after all the begging then nitpicking I have to say St. George's as well.

Plus Lambton.😉
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I want to sincerely thank all of you gentlemen for the compliments and kind words about Coeur d'Alene. I'm glad you like it. It's great to be mentioned among the greats of APCD course design. :smile: There is some tough competition among the group, and the courses just keep getting better and better. I have tested and pushed the APCD way beyond what I first thought it could handle, but so far it's taken everything I've thrown at it with ease. For such and old program, I'm impressed.

It's been a rough year, and I hope 2022 is much better. Thanks again for including me among the top for 2021. I very much appreciate you all. :tiphat: Special thanks to Adelade for his help and support through it all, and for the favorite course of the year compliment. :cheers1:

Happy new year to all, :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added