Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
froghair22

Links not opening on windows 11

Post by froghair22 »

I recently got a new computer that has Windows 11, tried installing Links2k3 with the current 1.07 & Nvidia patches & I can't get it to open. Anyone else having problems playing on Windows 11? Maybe a setting or something, been playing Links since the old Access days before Microsoft took over, any suggestions are welcomed -thank you.
Adelade

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by Adelade »

Can you describe more in what way it doesnt open? What comes up? Have you tried running it as admin, compatibility settings and launching from both LinksMMIII and LinksLauncher?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Some people have found their solution by buying someone's throw-away old computer and using it for Links 2003.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

This is the method I use. Has worked every time regardless of OS.

Having to re install Links
Simple, follow these steps in order.

1 install Links
2 install v1.02
3 install v1.05
4 install v 1.07
5 install links NVIDIA patch
6 install lspn crash fix
7 install LSPN_MAIN_L2K3
Procedure,
Place all the files in the links main folder (including RuKsHuk.exe).
To install the patches, just double click on them, it will be done automatically.
Good luck, see you on the tees.
Robert (aka Obelix)

NB: LSPN_MAIN will set the proper IP within Links to play ON-LINE

Hope it works for you.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

You need to go to Programs & features check on the top left look at turn Windows features on or off and check if the Legacy Components Direct Play is ticked. Links will not open if this is not ticked. Good Luck hope that was the problem you are having once ticked Links should open.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Daniel wrote: August 28th, 2022, 1:05 pm You need to go to Programs & features check on the top left look at turn Windows features on or off and check if the Legacy Components Direct Play is ticked. Links will not open if this is not ticked. Good Luck hope that was the problem you are having once ticked Links should open.
Is this specific to win 11? On one computer (win 10), Links always gives me a popup when I launch it, telling me I need to install Direct Play in order to continue, I always click no or cancel, and then Links launches and seems to play fine anyway. I havent tried playing online on that computer though, nor have I specifically checked about the Legacy Components setting you mention.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Not sure if it is specific to win 11 or not but you can not play Links till the Direct play it ticked. If Windows 11 does not tell you you need direct play then check that the Direct Play is ticked. I just unticked mine to see what would happen and Windows 11 said I need to install the Direct Play for my App. Links would not load till I re-ticked the Direct Play box.
Error Showing.png
Error Showing.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Get Direct Play.png
Get Direct Play.png (13.85 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
This is what showed on my screen when I unticked Direct Play.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yeah I get the same popups, I press Skip installation, then Continue, then Links launches fine. In case that does not happen for you, I dont know why that might be, but unless its a win11 thing, my only guess is if it might have something to do with me using the DirectX wrapper (the one from here: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 ) :dunno: I should also point out that I dont really have a clue what DirectPlay is, unless its something about some form of Online Play.

Doesnt really matter much, I just found it a little curious.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The Direct Play is for those using Play Station and the Microsoft Xbox, they can play each other which they could not do before. It also allows people playing games on Windows 11 to be able to play with them also. But unfortunately unless the Direct Play is ticked Links does not work.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I wonder if we'll ever know if he got it running and, if so, what fixed it?
No matter where you go, there you are.