Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
GoBucks

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by GoBucks »

Jimbo wrote: November 14th, 2022, 5:52 am I tried to reinstall Links on my old Windows 7. I downloaded all 4 patches and got the ""Reinsert Disc 1 message, which I did but then I got this message:

2003 cannot verify your disk. Please refer to the README for further infowmation.

BTW I'm also installing Links on my Win 10 Laptop, but the battery needs to be recharged. I'm getting the "Insert Disc 1 message thee too.

I've searched Links Corner and can't find anything about this.

The Nitpicker has hit the digital wall! :wallbash:
See this:
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... huk#p12959
No matter where you go, there you are.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: November 14th, 2022, 5:52 am I tried to reinstall Links on my old Windows 7. I downloaded all 4 patches and got the ""Reinsert Disc 1 message, which I did but then I got this message:

2003 cannot verify your disk. Please refer to the README for further infowmation.

BTW I'm also installing Links on my Win 10 Laptop, but the battery needs to be recharged. I'm getting the "Insert Disc 1 message thee too.

I've searched Links Corner and can't find anything about this.

The Nitpicker has hit the digital wall! :wallbash:
Did you change the "RuKsHuK.exe" (NO CD PATCH) in your Links2003 main directory? Download the replacement patched file, remove the one that Links installed, and replace it with the patched one. Links should launch after that without prompting you for the CD...

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Boot

Post by Boot »

GoBucks wrote: November 14th, 2022, 9:59 am
I guess we need to define "New Hardware", and then determine what hardware is causing the issue.

And how old is the info on that site?

If you're going to be a test bunny, I recommend that you get a dedicated graphics card,
It was only a few months ago, a new topic so very recent. I'm treating new components as meaning a computer with Win 11 and components released in the last 12 months, possibly a little more.
I really can't remember or did I fully understand but it had something to do with hardware and the way Win 11 handles some of the things Links needs to function. The user stated Links will absolutely not work on any system. I've searched hard to find the site but can't find it. All I know is it had a hardware section that had information on old hardware/software.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Before I try to reinstall I got another error message saying "Crucial Files Missineg, reinstall"
I searched this site for " Crucial Files" but came up empty.
FYI this happened when I did the first reinstall. Before I try again does anybody have an idea what the Crucial Files might be? And When I'm reinstalling do I need to install all the patches or does Number 7 cover everything?

Sorry to be a pain but I seem to have stumbled upon something new.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

To solve the "insert CD problem", all you need to do is follow the link GoBucks posted.

About the Crucial files problem - when did it first occur? Your clean install didnt have that problem from the beginning right? I think I would recommend uninstalling and removing everything and installing anew.

About whether patch 1.07 is everything you need - that depends on which game modes you plan on playing and whether you run into any graphical issues. If you plan on playing Career Mode, you should get the Career Mode fix for example (found here: https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107 ), and if you intend on playing online on LSPN, you should get the LSPN main server file (found here: http://lspn.net/server_switch/LSPN_MAIN_L2K3.exe ) and the LSPN crash fix (found here: http://www.lspn.net/downloads/LSPN_CRASH_FIX.exe ). It is usually best to get the Nvidia patch too, regardless of playstyle or system (found here: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10 ) The file GoBocks links to you will most likely need, since you're using the CD version. If all else fails you could look into trying the download version.

[Edit: added links]
Last edited by Adelade on November 15th, 2022, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: November 15th, 2022, 12:37 am

I've searched hard to find the site but can't find it. .
That's too bad. That would make some interesting reading.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

GoBucks wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:07 pm This is the method I use. Has worked every time regardless of OS.

Having to re install Links
Simple, follow these steps in order.

1 install Links
2 install v1.02
3 install v1.05
4 install v 1.07
5 install links NVIDIA patch
6 install lspn crash fix
7 install LSPN_MAIN_L2K3
Procedure,
Place all the files in the links main folder (including RuKsHuk.exe).
To install the patches, just double click on them, it will be done automatically.
Good luck, see you on the tees.
Robert (aka Obelix)

Hi Bucks-what are patches 6 and 7-I haven't seen them listed anywhere else.
And the Links Corner Store and the Country Club and have 1.07. Where can I find the others?
I don't want to install until I have all the Zip files.
Yes, I'm being a pain, but here's a deall-I promise not to nit pick until after the New Year...now there's a deal! :clapping:
It's so long since I first Installed! it! And to make matters I can't find the backup disc with all the backup courses and players-a small inconvenience...and I'll find it eventually. :wallbash:

And Andy I haven't forgotten the scorecards-the backup file might be buried there.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

GoBucks wrote: August 27th, 2022, 3:07 pm This is the method I use. Has worked every time regardless of OS.

Having to re install Links
Simple, follow these steps in order.

1 install Links
2 install v1.02
3 install v1.05
4 install v 1.07
5 install links NVIDIA patch
6 install lspn crash fix
7 install LSPN_MAIN_L2K3
Procedure,
Place all the files in the links main folder (including RuKsHuk.exe).
To install the patches, just double click on them, it will be done automatically.
Good luck, see you on the tees.
Robert (aka Obelix)

NB: LSPN_MAIN will set the proper IP within Links to play ON-LINE

Hope it works for you.
The only patch I can find at the country club and this site is 1.07...any idea where the rest are? And what doo #6 and 7 do? I haven't seen them before (it's been many years since I've done this and to mane kammers worse I can't seem to find my backup file,

If we get through I promise no nitpicking fot the rest of the year.

And on an unrelated topic-Andy, I haven't forgotten the scorecards. Who knows my course backups may be buried there! :oops:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Jimbo, I never install the 1.02 or 1.05 patch and it works fine for me (I believe they help with Links sound problems). The other 2 patches are for using the LSPN site. If you don't play Links on that site (LSPN.net), you should be ok.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Jimbo wrote: November 17th, 2022, 6:54 am

The only patch I can find at the country club and this site is 1.07...any idea where the rest are? And what doo #6 and 7 do? I haven't seen them before (it's been many years since I've done this and to mane kammers worse I can't seem to find my backup file,

Did you follow the link that I posted at the top of this page?