Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Adelade

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:57 amI've done some searching on this as I'm about to buy a new computer. I posted earlier there was some user who said Links 2003 is dead as it will not work on a new computer. He was very certain and seemed to understand all the tech side of the problem. There are also a couple of other threads I found here in which people have the latest computers and could not run the game either. It leads me to believe the Links is dead comment to be accurate. The user had created a complex fix but is not publicly sharing.
I was going to pass my current PC to my grandson but think I will hold onto it so I can keep playing Links. I'm expecting Links will not run on the new computer. Letting you all know what I came across.
Can you provide any sources for this please? Until i see them - and considering we've heard a couple people being able to run Links fine with fairly recent systems - I personally doubt this to be true at this point in time. But sure, it could eventually happen and might depend on exactly what type of hardware is causing the supposed problem.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Boot: "I was going to pass my current PC to my grandson but think I will hold onto it so I can keep playing Links. I'm expecting Links will not run on the new computer. Letting you all know what I came across."

That's a wise move on your part, Boot. There's a good chance that your old computer won't have enough horsepower to run your grandson's newer games, anyway. It also would be a good idea to ask Google how to turn off all Windows Updates. I still have my old Windows 7 computer (desktop) and have turned off Windows Updates on my new one.

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I have a Dell XPS that's about 1 year old. It has an Nvidia GTX 1660 ti. It's running Windows 11 with all the latest updates. It is, and has been, running Links just fine. If you want to know what I did, you can search my posts here, or you can send me a pm. It's not top-secret, and it's not rocket science.

And it's posted by me numerous times on this site. It's possibly referenced in this thread.(Edit: This thread. page one, fourth post from the top.)

And Adelade and pmgolf should be able to attest that I play online at LSPN with this very same computer.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: November 12th, 2022, 11:23 am Can you provide any sources for this please?
Can't recall what site I read the forum post regarding Links being dead. It was on a hardware forum for old hardware, that's all I know.
The other threads were on this site. I don't have specific links for those either but they were users with new hardware.
GoBucks wrote: November 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm I have a Dell XPS that's about 1 year old. It has an Nvidia GTX 1660 ti
The Dell might be 1 year old but how old are the components? That card was released beginning of 2019. The post I read was talking about Links not running on the latest hardware. I would guess this would be computers with hardware released in the last 12 months or less.
I checked the hardware users had problems with and those who ran Links fine. The problems were with the new hardware. None of those users found any solutions.

I'm buying a machine which has new hardware. I'm not expecting the game to run. I hope it does but from what I have read I don't believe it will.
Boot

Post by Boot »

pmgolf wrote: November 12th, 2022, 12:11 pm That's a wise move on your part, Boot. There's a good chance that your old computer won't have enough horsepower to run your grandson's newer games, anyway.
Pete
Thanks Pete. I do shut everything I can down once my computer is running well so Microsoft doesn't mess things up on me. My grandson asked for my PC because he likes to run some old games and wanted my computer to put Windows 7 on it.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im definitely glad you let us know what you've seen, but if you (or anyone else) come across the info from the other website again - or any similar info for that matter - I would love to see a link to it so one can check it out. Time will tell. I remain doubtful. Because I have historically seen a lot of people prematurely proclaim that Links will not work with x or y. If we were to believe those people, then Links for example cannot be run with Windows 11, Links cannot be run with Intel CPUs, Links cannot even be run with Windows 10. Im sure there are many other examples that I cant think of or remember right now. We now know that neither of those three statements were true.

In my view, a lot of people run into problems and then (understandably) get sick of trying to find the problem and give up "too early", when in fact there is a solution out there somewhere. Some of them maybe even already tried the correct solution, only they didnt do it the correct way. A lot of people who ask for tech help on these forums give up even before they communicate the details of what their problem is, what they're using, what they've tried and how they tried it. Some even downright ignore advise and then say it is impossible... So, I personally cant put too much stock into your point about seeing several people on this forum being unable to run the game with new hardware. I dont mean to generalize all of them, Im not saying it is impossible that a rare few of them tried everything they reasonably could in the correct ways, but I know how maddening tech troubleshooting can be so it would only be understandable if even the ones who persisted the most still gave up "too soon". Besides, it is conceptually impossible to try everything - there will always be more things one could try. The point is - just because something seems impossible, that doesnt mean you've gotten anywhere close to proving it so, and therefore the possibility may yet exist. Only when closer to a majority of people can no longer run Links will I believe it (and even then there is always hope of someone developing a fresh new solution on their own).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: November 13th, 2022, 4:42 am
Can't recall what site I read the forum post regarding Links being dead. It was on a hardware forum for old hardware, that's all I know.
The other threads were on this site. I don't have specific links for those either but they were users with new hardware.
GoBucks wrote: November 12th, 2022, 12:56 pm I have a Dell XPS that's about 1 year old. It has an Nvidia GTX 1660 ti
The Dell might be 1 year old but how old are the components? That card was released beginning of 2019. The post I read was talking about Links not running on the latest hardware. I would guess this would be computers with hardware released in the last 12 months or less.
I checked the hardware users had problems with and those who ran Links fine. The problems were with the new hardware. None of those users found any solutions.

I'm buying a machine which has new hardware. I'm not expecting the game to run. I hope it does but from what I have read I don't believe it will.
I, like Adelade, would be curious as to what hardware is causing the issue(s). The hardware issues that I've seen most have been cpu-related.

My old system wouldn't run Windows 11 because the cpu didn't measure up. My XPS is a mid-range build, including the graphics card. I wanted a dedicated graphics card because I've read of people having issues with integrated graphics, and that goes back a long way with Links.

I seem to be a minority/contrarian, because I'm able to play links on Windows 11 without having to do anything like making it think that I'm running xp. I don't know why. I've used the same Links installation process since Vista .Maybe it has to do with my IT background. Maybe it's because I don't blame Microsoft for everything that's wrong in the world. LOL!

I almost forgot! Adelade asked me what cpu I had. It's an Intel 11th generation, core i7-11700k.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I tried to reinstall Links on my old Windows 7. I downloaded all 4 patches and got the ""Reinsert Disc 1 message, which I did but then I got this message:

2003 cannot verify your disk. Please refer to the README for further infowmation.

BTW I'm also installing Links on my Win 10 Laptop, but the battery needs to be recharged. I'm getting the "Insert Disc 1 message thee too.

I've searched Links Corner and can't find anything about this.

The Nitpicker has hit the digital wall! :wallbash:
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:11 am I would love to see a link to it so one can check it out. Time will tell. I remain doubtful. Because I have historically seen a lot of people prematurely proclaim that Links will not work with x or y.
I agree but the post I read on the other site this user knew what he was talking about to the best of my knowledge. He went on to explain in detail why Links will no longer work but it's well beyond my ability to understand it let alone repeat it.
I've since looked at people who can run the game and those that can't. I've taken a logical approach as yourself. Here is what swayed me. See if you can find someone with new hardware and Windows 11 running Links? I have found no one. I have found around 3 cases on this site of people who could not and if I recall, one of those people seemed quite computer literate. Those who are running Links all have old components and some are not on Win 11.
There is not one user yet who has demonstrated Links can be run on a Win 11 computer with new components inside. I'll be the next test bunny.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: November 14th, 2022, 7:40 am
Adelade wrote: November 13th, 2022, 10:11 am I would love to see a link to it so one can check it out. Time will tell. I remain doubtful. Because I have historically seen a lot of people prematurely proclaim that Links will not work with x or y.
I agree but the post I read on the other site this user knew what he was talking about to the best of my knowledge. He went on to explain in detail why Links will no longer work but it's well beyond my ability to understand it let alone repeat it.
I've since looked at people who can run the game and those that can't. I've taken a logical approach as yourself. Here is what swayed me. See if you can find someone with new hardware and Windows 11 running Links? I have found no one. I have found around 3 cases on this site of people who could not and if I recall, one of those people seemed quite computer literate. Those who are running Links all have old components and some are not on Win 11.
There is not one user yet who has demonstrated Links can be run on a Win 11 computer with new components inside. I'll be the next test bunny.
I guess we need to define "New Hardware", and then determine what hardware is causing the issue.

And how old is the info on that site?

If you're going to be a test bunny, I recommend that you get a dedicated graphics card,
Last edited by GoBucks on November 14th, 2022, 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.