Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
GoBucks

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by GoBucks »

Titus wrote: September 8th, 2022, 5:34 pm Hello Morvio100,
okay I'll get the official Final.exe and try to remove all leftover links2003 and reinstall it according to your instructions
After I've installed the "Nvidia" patch, I've never had to go to the registry. The routine that I posted on the first page of this thread has always worked for me. Just sayin'.
No matter where you go, there you are.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: September 8th, 2022, 4:52 pm
GoBucks wrote: September 8th, 2022, 3:22 pm Is the directx wrapper you refer to that voodoo stuff?

If so, I've never used it.
Yeah that one, Andy told us to avoid mentioning it by its real full name a while back (because of Google being stupid about thinking it is malware), but I've seen plenty people call it the real name since then and Links Corner is still up, so its probably fine.

Only next thing I can think of right now is trying old drivers, but doing old drivers always seems cumbersome to me, so Im guessing you might not care to try that Titus.

Otherwise I would have suggested the Regedit thing already, but you said you've already looked into that.
Did you get my pm?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hallo,

That was the plan,
1) install official Links2k3 Download Version
2) install Players for Links2k3 Download Version
3) install Links2k3_107_Final.exe
4) install Links2k3_nvidia_win7_FINAL.exe

Links2003 doesn't start like this either, I've tried different compatibility options, it just doesn't start, no error message!
I have almost no entries in the Rededit (10 by the old PC 24) - Device is 1 - the GraphicSettings file in Links2003 is missing

normally I would now use the AndyHope
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Re-Install w 11.... :fcrossed: : ps safeguard the Links 2k3 license ...email it to yourself ...or stick with the old computer...best of luck
Boot

Post by Boot »

hi,
It was posted on an old computer hardware site I visited that links will not work with new computers or the voodoo patch. The poster explained why but it's beyond my ability to try and repeat it. He created a self executing file that fixes the problems but stated it is not going to be publicly shared. It was privately passed on to a couple of members from what I recall but that's all I know. I can't even find the site again as I happened across it looking for information on how to run a Windows 98 game for my son. :dunno:
dko

Post by dko »

Links works like a dream on my new Dell desktop with Windows 11 and Intel-only graphics through almost 100 rounds played. Initially, I installed the download version of Links, the 1.07 patch and the Nvidia patch and changed my compatibility settings prior to trying to launch Links. No luck.

I recommend you just do as Adelade suggested a few posts ago (September 7) and go to the first link he referred to.

At the suggestion of someone who really walked me through the process (it's all documented on the Tech Corner forum), I installed Voodoo and the Direct X wrapper, placed what I was advised to do in the proper folders and voila! (useful to note that the Direct X instructions refer to three dll's to place in the Links 2003 folder; Direct X has one folder with two dll's and one with four. I copied the one with four into my Links 2003 folder and it worked.

Two issues: My green analyzer doesn't work (don't care) and there is a translucent Voodoo imprint on my Links screen (also don't care).

I have no computer tech skills (I didn't change any internal settings personally and have no idea what Voodoo and Direct X did) and didn't install any additional hardware. Don't know if adding the Nvidia patch did anything.
Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im about to buy a new desktop computer (still in the process of deciding on which exact parts for the custom build), so I guess I will find out in a few weeks.

GPU market is rather bad still, especially in Sweden, and I neither want to get a pre-made computer nor build one of my own, so options are not great. At least I dont feel the need to go for the big guns, just a decent GPU for a budget gaming rig (Im selecting it with other games than Links in mind, but of course I want Links to work with it). Been looking at the 1650S or 1660S, but recently RTX 3050 popped up as an option, and I might be leaning towards that one at the moment. Was wondering, can anyone confirm they've gotten Links to run with either of those GPUs? I dont think it will be a problem for either of them, but there is always a risk when it comes to compatibility with such old games... So getting confirmation, if possible, would feel pretty good.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

@Adealde "but there is always a risk when it comes to compatibility with such old games.." seems these days choosing a "cpu" is alot trickier Adelade ...particulary if you like older games...some half decent deals for gpu's on ebay these days (market not as bad as it was)....imo go with any top end Nvidia card.....avoid AMD is you like old games.... :thumbup:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
I have no knowledge of computers so I am unable to help with specific questions regarding system requirements.

I can only offer my experience with the two computers I have and Links 2003 works on both machines. On the laptop there are translucent shadows and on the All-in-one the shadows are solid.

The spec of my laptop is:
Laptop.jpg
Laptop.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
My All-in-one desktop is:
allinone.jpg
allinone.jpg (74.37 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
DG Voodoo is not required.

I do not run any other games on either computer, so I cannot comment on their compatibility/non-compatibility.

Hope it helps.

Ian
Titus

Post by Titus »

hello everyone, something is going on here.

Win11 is not an option for me.

Tomorrow I'll try the last patch, Direct X wrapper, today it doesn't work,
I'm still playing Links2003 with two buddies today, I still have to warm up a bit.

I actually never had any problems with these Nvidia Geforce graphics cards,
Ti4200, GT9800, GT1050, GTX1650, GTX 980, RTX3080, all played without problems or restrictions,
the last two with Direct X wrapper.