Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Jimbo

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by Jimbo »

Hold your breath... :fcrossed:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Gobucks-I saw your last post-believe me, if I get this thing running everybody will know! :rofl: Everybody will get a digittal drink! I'm just taking it very slowly to make sure that all the ducks are in the pond before I "hit the switch"! :naughty:

I visited the Links Country Club and the only patch they had was 1.07 and Nvidea.
I think :bookh: hope that this is the last stop on the tour but, as I said I'm sure that there was a website that had every patch...it just isn't the country club.

Here's a long shot...I have RuKsHUK...is it possible that's where the patches are or is it just a sound file?? I don't want to open it if that's not the case.

Anyway if you can point the way to Patches
v1.02
v1.05
NVIDIA
lspn crash fix
LSPN_MAIN_L2K3

Then I'lll load them and see what happens.
BTW a bit of info that I didn't share because it worked from the beginning. I have the Links file as a subfile from Microsoft Games in Program Files (x86). That's where it always went when it installs so that shouldn't be an issue.
And the Links icon is back on my screen...but it's been there before during this adventure....but something must be working-I just don't want to try to open it again, until I know that it's successfully "patched"!
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: November 17th, 2022, 8:42 pm Hi Gobucks-I saw your last post-believe me, if I get this thing running everybody will know! :rofl: Everybody will get a digittal drink! I'm just taking it very slowly to make sure that all the ducks are in the pond before I "hit the switch"! :naughty:

I visited the Links Country Club and the only patch they had was 1.07 and Nvidea.
I think :bookh: hope that this is the last stop on the tour but, as I said I'm sure that there was a website that had every patch...it just isn't the country club.

Here's a long shot...I have RuKsHUK...is it possible that's where the patches are or is it just a sound file?? I don't want to open it if that's not the case.

Anyway if you can point the way to Patches
v1.02
v1.05
NVIDIA
lspn crash fix
LSPN_MAIN_L2K3

Then I'lll load them and see what happens.
BTW a bit of info that I didn't share because it worked from the beginning. I have the Links file as a subfile from Microsoft Games in Program Files (x86). That's where it always went when it installs so that shouldn't be an issue.
And the Links icon is back on my screen...but it's been there before during this adventure....but something must be working-I just don't want to try to open it again, until I know that it's successfully "patched"!
Jimbo...

I am going to assume you overlooked my reply a couple of days ago, so I will try again with a few more details...

I'll start by telling you that these are the ONLY files I have ever needed to run Links on my computers. I have NEVER needed any patches that were created prior to the 1.07 patch because I was told years ago that those earlier fixes were included in the 1.07 version.

I am using Windows 7 and none of my equipment contains any "Intel Integrated Graphics"

Here are the only files you might need unless you need some type of graphics patches to fix "Integrated Graphics" issues

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zw8vgi53jo08t ... S.zip?dl=0

Here is the instructions included in the Zipfile. Pay attention to what the "RuKsHuK.exe" file is used for. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL IT".

I would create a folder on one of your hard drives and install Links in it. That way all of the associated file folders will end up in the main Links directory and not hidden or scattered all over your hard drive.

Follow these steps immediately after you install Links.

1 - Install the Links2k3_107_Final.exe file (install as administrator)

2 - Install the Links2k3_NVIDIA_win7_FINAL.exe (install as administrator). Install this file whether you have an NVIDIA card or not.

3 - Replace (DO NOT INSTALL) the RuKsHuK.exe file that was installed with links with the one in this ZIP folder.
(note: This is the NO CD crack that will allow you to run Links without inserting the installation disc) It is located in the Links2003 main folder.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Sam-I saw your post but there have been some others as well. Having said that, I'm going to close my eyes ans jump...
...tomorrow...:fear:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Jimbo wrote: November 18th, 2022, 12:10 am Hi Sam-I saw your post but there have been some others as well. Having said that, I'm going to close my eyes ans jump...
...tomorrow...:fear:
Do you play online, Jimbo?
No matter where you go, there you are.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I found this link on LSPN.net. Explains what was included in V1.07. The fifth item from the bottom mentions support for wide-screen resolutions.

http://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopic ... mod#p25425
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Well folks, I installed Patch Win 1.07. Here's what happened:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
Extract: readme_107.txt... 100%
Can't write: Local Disc C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
The Links sub-file is the only sub-file in Microsoft Games.

There has to be something we've (I've) overlooked. For those of you with Windows 7 does your file look like this-or have you simply put it directly into the Microsoft Games File...or another file?
I'm certain that my discs are still good (they haven't left the box until now) and I'm not going to download the program from the web since I'm sure that I'll be encountering the same problem.

I'd send you a Zip of what the whole file looks like but it's too big to Zip-I could sent it segments I guess but do you think that there are 1 or 2 files that could be screwing me?

It's 11:00 out here-time for a much-needed shot then off to bed.

Here's the installation message:
================
This update includes all previous updates including v1.02 and v1.05. Changes are listed below.

Note: If you currently use Career Mode, installing this update for Links 2003 will overwrite the standard seasons (Season 1, Season 2, and Season 3) and the rosters. Doing so will require you to start a new career. Version 1.05 of Links 2003 has some significant changes. Most of those changes have affected Career Mode. You will need to start a new career in order to take advantage of new features. You are strongly recommended to delete your old career mode files and start fresh. Career Mode files are located in My Documents\Links 2003\Career\.

Installation Instructions
=========================
1. Download ‘Links2k3_107_Final.exe’ to a location you’ll remember, such as your Desktop
2. Click Start
3. Click Run
4. Browse to the location where ‘Links2k3_107_Final.exe’ resides
5. Select ‘Links2k3_107_Final.exe’ and click Open
6. Click OK to start the installation process.

===============================
Changes as of 06/19/2008
- Widescreen support has been added including HD resolutions
- Integration of MOD (v1.06) settings now known as Challenging conditions.
- New Gusty wind option
- Ability to use a course designer's physics for a particular course instead of the normal conditions.
- Custom tees are now available. You can determine which tees you want to use on each hole
- Ability to use custom clubs. New club models have been included in this patch
- Ability to use custom skies. You can build your own skies using the Sky Editor by Andrew Jones (Mogulbasher) which can be found at http://www.apcd-courses.com
- Microsoft has removed support for the in-game MatchMaker so support for Direct Connection has been turned on for LTS/LTF and the Links Tour(LSPN).
- Introduction of LTF Tournaments for offline tour operators. For information on the Email Tourney PHP API, please visit http://www.lspn.net/eAPI/
- Added an option of allowing or disallowing chipping on the green
- Fixed a problem in Links Tour (LSPN) events where alternate courses were not found properly
- Fixed a few other bugs in the game that were found while working on the update.

Known Issues
------------
Some people are experiencing a crash while playing in LTF tournaments. A maintenance patch is in the works which will address those issues. However, it will not affect the version number of the game. It will remain v1.07.

Here's the installation message:
Changes as of 01/21/2005

How to Edit Career Mode Rosters
Included in the patch is a file named ‘Editing Rosters.rtf’. Detailed instructions can be found there.

- Career Mode winnings from Invitationals was not being recorded in the player history
- Career Mode player history stats could become mixed up if you golfed with an AI player
- Made round settings editable in Career Mode without having to restart a career
- Fixed a Career Mode scoring problem where scores could become repetitive again
- Turned on playoffs for Match/Skin play in Career Mode
- Fixed end of round crash when playing Match play after viewing scorecard
- Fixed AI golfer's left handed play out of the sand
- Fixed computer player ability points in verify files
- Allow Match play rounds to be verified even if all 18 holes are not played
- Added game version to score.txt
- Added an option to turn off the Dynamic Cam when on the green
- Added an option to view your scorecard at the end of a practice round
- Fixed typo in videocard.txt that was the result of the v1.05 BETA Patch
- Got rid of Show MOPs Only from Rendering Message options. It wasn't doing anything as MOP messages are always shown.
- Changed the Links Tour server location in the registry. This is due to the sale of Indie Built games to Take 2 Interactive
- The install will now ask if you want to overwrite career mode files, videocard.txt, and predefined.ssf

Changes as of 11/04/2004

Career Mode
===========
- Adjust virtual players to attain more realistic scores as course conditions and players confidence levels change.
- Fixed problem where virtual players’ scores are too consistent.
- Assign golfer models to virtual players or make them lefties.
- Fixed a problem where golfer models for a virtual player would change from tourney to tourney.
- Make seasons 12, 24, 36, or 48 weeks long.
- Assign a custom purse amount to a tourney.
- See your overall tournament score in the player info instead of always starting at even.
- Added randomize button to pin positions box to help quicken tourney setup.
- Allow all installed courses to be used when using Auto-Generate in Season Manager. Currently only the six standard courses are allowed.
- added customizable pressure settings to career mode rosters
- Added ability to set player photo in career mode rosters
- Changed the way strokes are distributed to roster players in Career Mode so they don't get birdies in a row for instance.
- Career Mode roster scores are more realistic including players getting overs and unders throughout the round
- Added season history so you can see how much money you earned and what your ranking was (Note: This info isn't available in 1.02 histories. It will only be seen after playing in a new career with the patch)
- Fixed problem in CM where you would start at round 1's tees each time
- Fixed problem in Match Play for CM - rounds wouldn't end early if either player couldn't win
- Career Mode target values are now randomly changed by up to 3 strokes to introduce more variance in scores
- Fixed player history showing won $0 for some tourneys

Multiplayer
===========
- Fixed chat problem where text was erased after the post shot panel.
- Fixed a problem where a remote player's club wouldn't change so the local player would see the remote player swing with the wrong club.
- Fixed a problem where the local player would not see a remote player's swing if the remote player changed to putt when initially starting with a straight swing.
- Plugged shots wouldn't show as plugged on remote machines.
- Fixed Alt-Shot drop bug causing team members to drop from the wrong spot

Mode of Play (MOP)
==================
- Fixed the end of round crash when using certain MOPs.
- In match play, 'End the round when a winner is determined' wasn't remembered from round to round and therefore wouldn't end the round early.
- Alt-Shot drop bug where a player could end up at the wrong drop point
- Deep Grass is now recognized as Rough instead of not recognized at all

Email Tourney
=============
- Custom pins in email tournaments get reset back to previous custom pin positions.
- Fixed end of round 'course record' email tourney crash (Heap Stack)
- Fixed online email tourneys pin positions get reset to 0
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Dont bother with the "dics"....download the file from the site....your over complicating the issue with using the old discs....the file aint much..buy it and start from there.... :fcrossed:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Test
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Jimbo wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:13 am Well folks, I installed Patch Win 1.07. Here's what happened:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
Extract: readme_107.txt... 100%
Can't write: Local Disc C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
This information you give feels confusing to interpret:
-Is it an error message? If so:
-Is it one or multiple?
-Which of these specific lines come from the actual error message?
-Is that all it says?
-After which specific action and with which file and location did it show up?

The fact that it says extracting and a .txt file makes me wonder if you had a problem with an action other than the actual installation. Readme TXT files have no technical purpose, they're not needed, all they do is inform.

One thought: Did you perform this action with administrator rights?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...