Links not opening on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Adelade

Re: Links not opening on windows 11

Post by Adelade »

Titus wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:02 amSo far so good. Launched links several times and ran it once in 800x600, created a new player and exited links. I'm in regedit to see what's there. Set device to 1 and it won't start.
Did you try keeping it at Device 0 and if so, did you achieve satisfactory display resolution and game stability?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2022, 2:38 pm
Titus wrote: September 11th, 2022, 11:02 amSo far so good. Launched links several times and ran it once in 800x600, created a new player and exited links. I'm in regedit to see what's there. Set device to 1 and it won't start.
Did you try keeping it at Device 0 and if so, did you achieve satisfactory display resolution and game stability?
Hello Adelade,
I took a break from it once.
I just tried again. I was able to start the game with device 1,
it then runs on 800x600 in 16bit. In the graphics settings in the game, I could then select dg Voodoo, then I selected 1920x1080 at 32bit.
It is then also displayed like this (1920x1080 at 32bit), then Links must be restarted, from then on Links2K3 no longer starts, no error message.
In Regedit, under Performance, dg Voodoo has now been entered.
screen0000.jpg
screen0000.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
screen0001.jpg
screen0001.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
one error message
Today Fehler 10.JPG
Today Fehler 10.JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
For me in Regedit,

Depht = Color Depth 16/32bit
Device= VGA Card yes/no
Mode = Release 1-15
Software = Without Hardware VGA rendering
Windowed = Window or full screen

could that be true
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Have you installed the Nvidia patch in the main Links folder AND double-clicked it.

Under "Graphic Settings/Device" can you select your video card?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I dont know much about the inner workings about these things, but yeah you're probably right about those. Gator helped me compile some info about it a while back, which I think he did partly based on a post by Armand from long ago.
Depth is for 16/32-bit color depth (16-bit – 0, 32-bit – 1), this is best set to 1.

Mode is where you set the screen resolution (1-15 from the chart at https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3796#p3796).

Software is for hardware/software rendering (hardware – 0, software – 1).

Windowed is for full-screen/windowed (full-screen – 0, windowed – 1).
Device is the one I have never heard or seen anything about before, but based on what morvio said here, it seems to indicate it has something to do with graphic card selection. Possibly this may or may not be more relevant with computers that have more than one GPU (like many laptops for example), I dont know. Either way, why dont you try with Device set to 0, if that worked for you before? What happens if you set:
Device = 0
Depth = 1
Mode = 14
Software = 0 or 1 as you wish
Windowed = 0 or 1 as you wish
without touching any of the settings within Links?

Part of the problem might be that you've changed or may have changed settings in 3 different locations - the dgV wrapper, Links itself, and the Registry. I've been under the impression that it is best to only change settings from one of them, and not touch the others.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

GoBucks wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:04 pm Have you installed the Nvidia patch in the main Links folder AND double-clicked it.
Hi GoBucks,
I have never copied the Nvidia patch into the main folder and then executed it, always from externally.
GoBucks wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:04 pm Under "Graphic Settings/Device" can you select your video card?
At this point I had already installed the dg Voodoo patch and could only select this one.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm
Device is the one I have never heard or seen anything about before, but based on what morvio said here, it seems to indicate it has something to do with graphic card selection. Possibly this may or may not be more relevant with computers that have more than one GPU (like many laptops for example), I dont know.
Hi Adelade,
yes the point - device, is also something new for me. I see the rest that way too.
Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm Either way, why dont you try with Device set to 0, if that worked for you before? What happens if you set:
Device = 0
Depth = 1
Mode = 14
Software = 0 or 1 as you wish
Windowed = 0 or 1 as you wish
without touching any of the settings within Links?
The thing is, I always only have one or two tries, after that the game stops responding no matter what I try.
Nothing works at the moment.
Adelade wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm Part of the problem might be that you've changed or may have changed settings in 3 different locations - the dgV wrapper, Links itself, and the Registry. I've been under the impression that it is best to only change settings from one of them, and not touch the others.
Yes, I have to go back, I know the problem with the graphics settings in links,
but couldn't resist, must also be checked.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Titus, go to this location... Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Performance ....post whats listed as video device....if you set up dg..v correct....it will say v..doo wrapper...if you have not it "should say your video card...regardless..post whats listed as video device...
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-19 224526.gif
Screenshot 2022-09-19 224526.gif (278.1 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

PS...sorry Titus..just read you full post...if the game doesn't restart,,,go to Links 2k3 MAIN DIR...and see if there is a dg..v doo Config file in the Links 2k3 main dir,,if so delete it...also you might try selecting the 1400 by 900 res on the Links settings page...best of luck.../ the 1400 by 900 wont come into play / once v...doo is set to 1920 1080 under nglide and max under direct x the game will play at your monitors full res....
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Titus wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:02 pm
GoBucks wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:04 pm Have you installed the Nvidia patch in the main Links folder AND double-clicked it.
Hi GoBucks,
I have never copied the Nvidia patch into the main folder and then executed it, always from externally.
GoBucks wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:04 pm Under "Graphic Settings/Device" can you select your video card?
At this point I had already installed the dg Voodoo patch and could only select this one.
As i understand it, and has always been my practice, all patches should be placed in the main links folder and double-click to install.

If it were me(and it's not) I would uninstall that voodoo stuff, and execute the procedure outlined in the following post. That's what i would do.It works for me.
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 301#p15301

Good Luck.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Titus

Post by Titus »

morvio100 wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:51 pm Hey Titus, go to this location... Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\Performance ....post whats listed as video device....if you set up dg..v correct....it will say v..doo wrapper...if you have not it "should say your video card...regardless..post whats listed as video device...
Hi,
RegPerformace.JPG
RegPerformace.JPG (128.46 KiB) Viewed 1664 times