Clubs in the Bag

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Luenz

Clubs in the Bag

Post by Luenz »

Hello,

I finally made it...I can play Links 2003 at my Laptop. Ok, no Sky-Changing, but after a while I don't reckognize it and it don't bother (is it the right word?) me anymore.

A short introduction: My Name is Derek, I'm from Germany and in the 50+ Age-Range.

I played Links 386 pro and loved buying new Additional Courses in the days.
Then, after a little break, I returned to/with Links 2001 from 2002 to 2006. Then a big brake until now.

I never played real Golf...'cause of some Back-Injury, just Links.

Now I have a Question that torchers my mind for the last few days (or even weeks) and I found no answer.

What Clubs do you guys (and girls...not sure) use in the game?

That brings a lot of detailed questions with it:

- Does anyone uses D2 (W2) permanently?
- Do yo use D1, W3, W5 or I1 / I2 instead of W5?
- Anyone W4?
- Alway the default length (I have the patch for D1 =285)?
- W4 reduced to 235 as kind of an hybrid?
- I4 or W7?
- Someone W6?
- Do you have a fixed set, or do you change from Course to Course...and if so, what are the parameters for changing your set?

I know...it's a game without "the right way". But I'm just curious.

I have different "Players" with different "Bags" (the number is rising) and I use some random Players at every Course.

Thank you in advanve
Derek
GoBucks

Re: Clubs in the Bag

Post by GoBucks »

Here's my bag:
D1, 3,4,5 woods
3,4,5,6,8,9 Irons
PW,SW,LW

All stock basic yardages. I do use the flop and punch shots with some of them.

Some use D2 for improved accuracy, or so I've heard.
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Interesting topic! I've put some work into club selection. I play RTS, which makes me more aware of the behavior of various clubs. For instance, I found the SW to be quite undependable, failing to go the required distance often enough to make me take it out of the bag. And the 6 iron, there is enough overlap between the 5 iron at various lofts (185-180-175-170-165 for stock thru each click of loft) and the 7 iron (160-155-150-145-140 for the same adjustments). The 9 iron will give you 135 if you lower the loft 1 below stock.

The 5 iron lets me down when I'm going over water at 185, so I use a 7 iron with loft completely reduced as much as possible. A 3i is one of the most dependable clubs that I've found. A 4 iron not so much. So my club set (with yardages based on stock, +1 click of loft, +2 clicks...) is: D1 (280ish for me, 278 and 260), 3W, 5W, 6W, 7W, 2i, 3i, 5i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, LW. And also, when I set the max yardage for a club to something other than it's std yardage, I have found that it's not all that dependable, so I no longer use it.

Pete
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Luenz wrote: July 4th, 2022, 4:58 pm A short introduction: My Name is Derek, I'm from Germany and in the 50+ Age-Range.
Willkommen Derek.

Luenz wrote: July 4th, 2022, 4:58 pm What Clubs do you guys (and girls...not sure) use in the game?
Nothing special for me:
D1,3,5 woods
3,4,5,6,7,8,9 Irons
PW,SW,LW

Always the same, never change (boring). As for yardages of these clubs, I think I may have installed a patch to Links which bumps the yardages from what is normally delivered in Links (?) Maybe this was done in version 1.07, not sure, don't remember.

p.s., I think it's 100% guys in this forum, one of my early posts inquired about the presence of females here (just curious, I'm 36 years into my happy marriage), got nothing but the sound of crickets. :-D
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I have an unusual one. Im really into irons in general and particularly 1-irons, so Im using that one even though I recognize that having a wood club of similar distance instead probably would improve my scores. I often use flop shots to bridge distance gaps. I have shorter custom distances for maybe a third of my clubs, in order to further help bridge certain distance gaps. I dont like the small inconvenience of setting custom trajectory heights, so I just never do that.

I use 2W, 3W, 1-iron and then all Irons and wedges from 3-Iron and shorter.

Keeping my scores around the same type of numbers that real-life pro tour golfers have is an important part of my enjoyment of the game, so, to prevent my scores from slowly and steadily getting lower, I keep looking for ways to make the game more challenging for myself. I've been thinking about banning myself from using custom club distances and maybe even using the LW altogether - feels like you can relatively easily (at least on Champ Classic) make some type of shots with it that you rarely or never see from real-life pros. I've been thinking about doing the same for the 2W too, but that would make so many par 5 holes a lot less exciting to play...

Welcome to the forums, and about the sky - have you looked into this thread? https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788 There may be several things that can cause issues with the sky, but at least one of the common ones is solved with that.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hello Derek,

I don't think much of the ProMod for longer distances of the racket.

Since I play 3 click classic pro, I always try to hit 12 - 6 in the swing meter
(It would be nice and unfortunately I don't always succeed) and then vary the length with the racket position.

2w - 3w - 4w - 5w

I like playing blades, partly because you can generate a lot of fade or draw,
e.g. if you have a bad situation and trees are in the way or in cross winds.

3i - 4i - 6i - 7i - 8i - 9i

PW - SW - LW

for my iron clubs I have set a range from 3i 197m down to LW 36m,
they all have the same speed in the swing meter and I almost never have to do half strokes.

I try to avoid chip hits

I always play with the same racquet setup, if that's not enough then it's just not enough.

Greetings from Germany
Last edited by Titus on July 5th, 2022, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Like Migolfer I use the same clubs for every player for every round, never change.....
All settings are standard except for the Driver which I lower by 2 clicks
I mostly play champ click although I will play pro click at times when course testing. Champ or Pro everything stays the same.... with occaisional trajectory adjustments depending on wind.

D1, 3w, 4w, 6w
pw, sw, lw

I chip with my sw and lw and use the flop setting with my lw a lot from around the greens and greenside bunkers

:cheers1:
T
Luenz

Post by Luenz »

Hi,

many thanks for your replies and informations.

I use, like I wrote in my first post, different players with different clubs.

This are my 10 combinations :laugh:

01. D1, 3W, 5W, I3, I4, ...
02. D1, 3W, I1, I3, I4, ...
03. D1, 3W, 5W, 6W, I4, ...
04. D1, 3W, 4W, 6W, I4, ...
05. D1, 3W, 4W, I2, I4, ...
06. D1, 3W, I1, I2, I4, ...
07. D1, 3W, 5W, 6W, 7W, ...
08. D1, 3W, 4W, 6W, 7W, ...
09. 2W, 3W (250 yd), 5W, I3, I4, ...
10. 2W, 3W (250 yd), I1, I3, I4, ...

With kind regards