How to deal with getting stuck in one spot.

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
MrT

How to deal with getting stuck in one spot.

Post by MrT »

Today, I was playing on "Kiawah" (for short). I love this course and, unlike most, I love the sound of the ocean and the waves and the noise of the wind. I play here with headsets at full blast. But, I am detouring. I was actually doing quite well until I came to Hole 13. First of all, I am deeply convinced that this hole has issues as shots seem to be attracted to the right even when the wind blows to the left and one hits smack in the middle with the iron or the wood. But, that is an issue for another time. Since I had not played Kiawah for a while I forgot about this "tendency" by Hole 13 and the ball went dangerously by the water as it does nearly every time. Nevertheless, I did not end up in the water. Yet, I was shown as being in a river, but while standing on top of something made of wood, like a fence. My "little guy" could not move the ball. I was only 15-20 yards from the pin. But, nothing I tried was able to dislodge the ball from that spot. Tried LW, I8, ... , up to the Drive! Nothing!

What should one do in these circumstances? Assuming that there is something to do, that is. I can concede the hole and I assume get a 12, which was better than to keep hitting the ball till Eternity.

I solved the problem by cursing a lot, wishing a few bouts of diarrhea to someone, and switched off the game. But I am looking for a more elegant solution.

And, actually, the same thing happened at Torrey Pines 60 minutes earlier. Got stuck in tall grass (this time my fault and not the shots slicing on their own) and took me 5 shots to hack my way out of there. I wonder if I should bring a machete to the course, next time. Another game I quit. For about a year never had that type of issues at all. Today twice! In a row too! Hopefully I am good for another year now. :fear:
sagevanni

Re: How to deal with getting stuck in one spot.

Post by sagevanni »

MrT,

LMAO.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"wishing a few bouts of diarrhea to someone"

Sage....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

There should be an option to take a drop (you can find it in one of the menus at the bottom, probably "Shot Options"). However, in some cases it will be greyed out if the designer didnt tick the texture box to make the texture droppable. Also, in some situations it might not help anyway if the areas behind the spot are equally unplayable. If you suspect that you have ended up in a really tricky spot, I think you can choose to rehit (again, if the texture was made droppable by the designer), but unfortunately you lose that opportunity as soon as you accept the previous shot.

This is all if I recall correctly.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
MrT

Post by MrT »

Adelade wrote: April 6th, 2022, 8:35 am There should be an option to take a drop (you can find it in one of the menus at the bottom, probably "Shot Options"). However, in some cases it will be greyed out if the designer didnt tick the texture box to make the texture droppable. Also, in some situations it might not help anyway if the areas behind the spot are equally unplayable. If you suspect that you have ended up in a really tricky spot, I think you can choose to rehit (again, if the texture was made droppable by the designer), but unfortunately you lose that opportunity as soon as you accept the previous shot.

This is all if I recall correctly.
Yes, but my problem was that I did not go out of bounds and I was just about 15 yards from the pin. But hitting from that position, regardless of what club I tried to use, the ball was not moving and staying there. Extremely unlucky landing, I guess. I could have stayed there till the end of times.

I think that Kiawah could use some TLC. It is an old course that dates back to 2006, sadly. Very unique and quite appealing (to me at least) and also quite difficult if played in M/Fc like I played it, HIgher than that and half the holes play funny. It was a pre-challenging condition course and I tried to use the firmness and speed setting by the designer and it is like playing on molasses and you need to use a driver to putt.

It was the first or second time I got a birdie, by hitting a chip past the hole (on purpose) and counting on the steep terrain to bring it back down towards the hole. I got a bit extra since it actually went in. That is what I call pool(billiard)-style golf. A bit obscene frankly, albeit it can be fun. Does not feel like real golf to me though. Still, I have accepted that this game is extremely good but not perfect in all situations.
MrT

Post by MrT »

sagevanni wrote: April 6th, 2022, 7:27 am MrT,

LMAO.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"wishing a few bouts of diarrhea to someone"

Sage....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:whistle: Well, I take responsibility for most missed shots and putts. But occasionally, the blame lies with someone else. :whip: :rant:

Sadly, while the course is definitely worthwhile, it is a 2006 course and it is not 100% suitable for challenging conditions. Getting literally stuck in that spot was a first for me in about 1 year of playing. I hope it is the last too. Or next time I might wish something worse than diarrhea. I was at -3 and had to kill the game. I learned that on Hole 13 one must aim quite a bit to the left of the hole, no matter the wind. I would not be surprised if hole 13 did not come out 100% right.