Good & bad news playing on windows 11

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
jackdanielz80

Good & bad news playing on windows 11

Post by jackdanielz80 »

hey guys, thanks for all of your help on me getting Link2k3 going on my new computer. I am able to open it to the home screen with all of the player & game options, but when I try to play the screen flutters & never settles where I can play. Is there a setting somewhere in windows11 that I need to set? Thanks again, I am SO close to being able to play again - Jack
dpang2836

Re: Good & bad news playing on windows 11

Post by dpang2836 »

Could be the Video Card?? My New Dell last year had "Onboard Video", which did crazy things. I put a nice Video Card in one of the inside Slots. It worked and best Graphic's I have seen with 18 Years on this Game. Not sure if you have the current Version of Links with a few Patches. Good Luck! Dana
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

Could be Dana, this computer is a 24" all in one HP with Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe graphics. My grandson says that is a kick ass computer for his games, but they aren't 20 years old like Links is. Are video cards easy to install? Thanks for your help.
dpang2836

Post by dpang2836 »

Howdy! I am pretty sure you can't put a Video Card in an All In One. I still have my All In One Sony, which worked and still works fine, but Graphic's were off some. We went on the Road to Mt. Rushmore from Idaho, and I brought All in One with us! New Dell couldn't compete, so I got a New Video Card being a Tower Computer that I could get into with a Graphic Card Slot. Another $100. They do make Video Cards that Attach by USB, but not sure if your prob is Graphics related, or software. May be not enough Memory, with Windows 11 being a Memory Hog. I hate Window's but have to have it for my Golf. Check out mt Post Newbie
dpang2836

Post by dpang2836 »

I failed to mention old All In One was Windows 10. We had it "offline" when Windows 11 came out, so we were spared!
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

This is your third thread on basically the same subject. And we finally find out about your equipment.
No matter where you go, there you are.
RobV

Post by RobV »

You may need a graphics wrapper that converts old graphics APIs to later versions of Direct3D. Something like dgVoodoo... it is used to play older PC games. Although alot of people (and windows) does not like it and gets flagged by most virus protection software, it is harmless. I currently use it and the Links and its graphics runs fine. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.. might even be a sticky. Use at your own discretion though..
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

GoBucks wrote: December 28th, 2021, 11:57 am This is your third thread on basically the same subject. And we finally find out about your equipment.

I'm sorry GoBucks, but I am 85 years old & in a wheelchair & not very computer savvy. I really like playing Links & am just trying to get it going on this new computer. Hopefully I can soon, not meaning to annoy anyone. Have a happy new year & stay healthy. Jack
dpang2836

Post by dpang2836 »

Jack, you can right click The Program, then scroll down to Properties and click. Then click Combatibilities. You can change to an older Operating System to run game. Click where it says Vista and maybe go down to Windows 9 to try? HNY Dana
jackdanielz80

Post by jackdanielz80 »

dpang2836 wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:30 pm Jack, you can right click The Program, then scroll down to Properties and click. Then click Combatibilities. You can change to an older Operating System to run game. Click where it says Vista and maybe go down to Windows 9 to try? HNY Dana

Sorry DP, did not work either. Someone mentioned getting a new driver installed but I do not know anything about that. Surely someone has Windows 11 & has it playing. I will keep on hoping, thx for your help.