fairway speed?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Dr golf

fairway speed?

Post by Dr golf »

Does the changing speeds on the greens effect the speed or lack of roll out in the fairways? :dunno: Thank you in advance.

Doc
Adelade

Re: fairway speed?

Post by Adelade »

I made a quick test with roll speeds on fairways a couple months ago, both the firmness and the speed setting have an affect on fairway roll speed, but however you set them, fairways will still always roll a LOT (and IMO unrealistically) slower than greens (unless the designer used custom texture properties for fairways, but there are issues with doing things that way too). One might think the firmness setting only affects bounces but I can confirm that it does have an impact on pure roll speed for fairways as well - not only greens. I didnt save the exact numbers from my test, but I remember that it didnt seem to be an exactly equal linearity when comparing with the green speeds. For example, if referring to the green speed chart, I expected X setting to give lets say 1.8 times longer roll for equal putting power compared to Y setting, but instead it was 2.0 or 1.6. Meanwhile the gap between two other settings didnt follow the same inconsistency when comparing with the green speeds, which was a bit odd but probably nothing one would notice without crunching numbers in detail. I still expect any given setting that is faster than a certain other one on greens, to still be at least slightly faster on fairways too, but I cant confirm that fully. Again, I dont remember exact ratios or numbers but the settings I tested with were F/F , Mc/Mc , M/Mc , M/Fc and Fc/Fc. I seem to remember that the difference between Fc/Fc and the others was very significant.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...