Course Download Issues

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Andy
Site Admin

Course Download Issues

Post by Andy »

Google in it's wisdom has decided that it is not safe practice to allow on a secure site a link to a file on an insecure site. :rant:

So, from today attempts to download courses using Chrome are being blocked because the Links Corner main site is secure but the server holding the course files is not secure.

The server hosting the course files cannot be made secure (according to the hosting company) and moving to a new hosting package would be an expensive and possibly fraught operation.

So, in an attempt to get round the problem I have introduced an extra step so that the link on the main site doesn't point directly to the download file but to another link. :bookh:

It's working for me OK so hopefully it will for everyone else. Incidentally, other browsers may not have had this issue.
Stephen Sullivan

Re: Course Download Issues

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Works for me Andy :thumbup:
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

It worked in Edge!

Jim
Paul44

Post by Paul44 »

Works for me Andy in Firefox
The toughest shot in golf is your next one.
Darter_7

Post by Darter_7 »

Hi, I'm able to download the courses on this site, but when I try to unzip them I get a message that the file is invalid. I've tried with a few zip file aps but nothing works. To see of it was my system causing the problem, I tried to unzip zipped files from other sources and has no problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Please note that I've been playing Links since the program came out and have downloaded, unzipped, and enjoyed playing the wonderful courses provided. I would hate to loose that ability. FWIW, I do periodically donate to the cause.

Darter
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Assuming you are using Windows you do not need any external programs such as Winzip or 7zip etc etc to open zipfiles.

I suggest you either uninstall such programs and let Windows open the files.

Andy
Darter_7

Post by Darter_7 »

Thanks, Andy, I am using Windows 10 and I have been able to open the course zip files with windows File Explorer. But that doesn't work either. Any other thought? Thanks.

Darter
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Well, I am at a loss to know what your problem is. :dunno:

Does this effect every course zipfile? Is it a problem that has just started or have you never been able to unzip any course file?

I would have imagined that if there was a problem with the files then many members here would have raised the issue.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I haven't read anything that said the file was re-downloaded. Sometimes some downloads get cut-off before they are finished. I suggest re-downloading. Also, what files are being downloaded so someone else can try downloading them as a test.

Pete
Darter_7

Post by Darter_7 »

It started when I started to download the Wade Hampton 2021 file. From then on none of the links courses would unzip. I even tried to unzip files I downloaded months ago. Didn't work. I have notice though starting about two weeks ago I get a plain white screen with the wording "my file is ready for download." Prior to that screen emerging when I clicked on the download button the file went directly to the designated folder. I don't know what else to say or do.