Links no good on Win 11

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Boot

Re: Links no good on Win 11

Post by Boot »

I just checked on the release date of 12th gen CPU's from the comments made in the thread I linked above. They are new. Let's forget the rest of the computer and just look at the CPU only. Who here is running Links with a 12th gen CPU successfully under Windows 11?
chad

Post by chad »

The only other suggestion I have is to try using the Nvidia Profile Inspector -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dztxh81a07m8 ... r.zip?dl=0

...with these settings:
Attachments
Nvidia Links Profile_W11.png
Nvidia Links Profile_W11.png (54.28 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:39 am I just checked on the release date of 12th gen CPU's from the comments made in the thread I linked above. They are new. Let's forget the rest of the computer and just look at the CPU only. Who here is running Links with a 12th gen CPU successfully under Windows 11?
Ok. Now we have a timeline.
11th Gen -released 3/2021
12ht Gen-released 11/2021
13th Gen-released 01/2022

I'm running the ancient 11th gen with no issues.
This is my source : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... iUAEMT3lDy
No matter where you go, there you are.
chad

Post by chad »

I'm curious @Boot if the Nvidia Profile Inspector works for you or not. You said, "My settings are fine, the game works fine and it displays as it should. The NVidia settings no longer provide the same positive result as they did in the past.... It doesn't look anywhere near as good, not the course textures or the golfer." Perhaps this will enhance your Links main cam views.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im still curious about these unanswered questions I had for Boot:
Are you able to show a screenshot?

When you say you have it at 16x - which exact one of the settings is it that you're referring to?
Also, you say your settings are "fine", but you dont mention whether you actually tried what Daniel suggested.

Minor point, since I know you're talking about win 11: The post you pointed to in the "Links won't launch on new device" thread didnt specifically mention windows 11, and I know at least two people who can run Links fine with 12th gen on win 10. I hadnt yet tried mine at the time of that post being made.

Either way, whether the graphical enhancements work to 100% feels like a side-point from your original discussion, which was about Links 2003 being "dead". If you ask me, Links wouldnt be considered dead just because one cant get texture filtering to maximum potential. I dont know how bad your game displays, but that's why I am curious to see a screenshot.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Boot

Post by Boot »

chad wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:53 pm I'm curious @Boot if the Nvidia Profile Inspector works for you or not. You said, "My settings are fine, the game works fine and it displays as it should. The NVidia settings no longer provide the same positive result as they did in the past.... It doesn't look anywhere near as good, not the course textures or the golfer." Perhaps this will enhance your Links main cam views.
I've tried both the standard control panel and Nvidia Inspector. Identical results.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: January 4th, 2023, 4:52 pm Im still curious about these unanswered questions I had for Boot:
Are you able to show a screenshot?

When you say you have it at 16x - which exact one of the settings is it that you're referring to?
Also, you say your settings are "fine", but you dont mention whether you actually tried what Daniel suggested.

Minor point, since I know you're talking about win 11: The post you pointed to in the "Links won't launch on new device" thread didnt specifically mention windows 11, and I know at least two people who can run Links fine with 12th gen on win 10. I hadnt yet tried mine at the time of that post being made.

Either way, whether the graphical enhancements work to 100% feels like a side-point from your original discussion, which was about Links 2003 being "dead". If you ask me, Links wouldnt be considered dead just because one cant get texture filtering to maximum potential. I dont know how bad your game displays, but that's why I am curious to see a screenshot.
As I've said, you need a new computer and Windows 11. Other computer combinations may work fine or give results along the lines of something as I am getting. A handful of people have a new computer with Windows 11 and none of them can even run Links. This is why i said Links is dead. I didn't say Links is dead because my textures don't work ideally. I said it because Links cannot be run at all on these new computers under Windows 11.
I also haven't looked at my comment but I'm sure I pointed out it was the poster on the other site that said this. I was simply passing on the information here which appears to be totally accurate.

I have said texture filtering/anisotropic at 16x. Yes, my settings are all perfect. Everything displays perfect. Changing settings from those set will only make things not perfect. Nvidia texture filtering is not working as well as it did with Win 10. There is no other way I can explain it. Screenshot below. It's fine as you can see but at 16x in the past, I had beautifully crisp texures from tee to green. Even directly under the golfers feet they are not as crisp as they were and neither is the golfer. After the bushes in front of the tee nothing is really crisp. It's like 16x works more like 4 or 8x. The filtering 100% works just not as well as before. As I know what it looked like before, it is very clearly much poorer quality to me. You may not see this through my screenshot.
linkstext.jpg
linkstext.jpg (533.44 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Boot

Post by Boot »

Boot wrote: January 4th, 2023, 3:39 am I just checked on the release date of 12th gen CPU's from the comments made in the thread I linked above. They are new. Let's forget the rest of the computer and just look at the CPU only. Who here is running Links with a 12th gen CPU successfully under Windows 11?
I know people here are doubting what I say. The above is what I am asking. There are a few people here with this system. Links does not work for any of them.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

As I read this thread, and the thread that I referenced in this thread, I am unable to determine if you installed Win11 on a new pc, or if you installed it on your old pc that you were going to give to your son?
No matter where you go, there you are.
chad

Post by chad »

I don't see poor quality graphics at all from that screenshot. Are you using monitor drivers released by the manufacturer? When the W11 OS is loaded, it generally uses Generic Windows monitor drivers. I had to download drivers from Samsung for my monitor and install them to enhance and balance out colors. Whites and greys were way off before I installed the correct drivers.
Attachments
Monitor Settings.jpg
Monitor Settings.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Last edited by chad on January 5th, 2023, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.