Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Adelade

Re: Returning to Links

Post by Adelade »

Yes, thats the "simpler but worse" solution that I didnt want to mention, because it means you have to give up on custom skies, and custom skies enhance the enjoyment of the game so much in my opinion. The full solution is worth pursuing. Besides, the full solution can solve another issue with the top cam which you may have, only you havent had a chance to discover it yet.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

One more question: Is that screen resolution (1600x900 desktop) the recommended (or native) resolution?
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Cervantes wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:28 am Adelade,

I don't get the weird sky if the only sky in the skies folder is the default 'random sky' file.

Cervantes
Cervantes - leave the "random sky" in the skies folder and address that problem when you have fixed your other problems. You've stirred up a hornet's nest trying to fix all your problems at the same time. Fix one - then move on to the next problem. That will work much better!

Pete
gator

Post by gator »

Cervantes,

For many of us (myself included), high DPI scaling caused a myriad of issues when installing Links on machines that have higher screen resolutions (pretty much any computer that benefits from the 1.07 patch). Overriding this behavior resolves many of them and it is quite easy to do and easily forgotten. With Links closed, locate your LinksMMIII.exe file in File Explorer and right click on it and select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, click on the 'Change high DPI settings' button, tick the box for 'Override high DPI scaling behavior', make sure the dropdown beneath 'Scaling performed by:' is set to Application. Click OK twice. Start Links and see if any of your issues are corrected.

Leo

High DPI 1.jpg
High DPI 1.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
High DPI 2.jpg
High DPI 2.jpg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
High DPI 3.jpg
High DPI 3.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

GoBucks wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:14 am One more question: Is that screen resolution (1600x900 desktop) the recommended (or native) resolution?
for my desktop, yes
Cervantes
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Cervantes wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
GoBucks wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:14 am One more question: Is that screen resolution (1600x900 desktop) the recommended (or native) resolution?
for my desktop, yes
Cervantes
Thanks,
Dave

edit : Appears to be some brand of 20" monitor?
Last edited by GoBucks on November 23rd, 2022, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

gator wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:13 pm Cervantes,

For many of us (myself included), high DPI scaling caused a myriad of issues when installing Links on machines that have higher screen resolutions (pretty much any computer that benefits from the 1.07 patch). Overriding this behavior resolves many of them and it is quite easy to do and easily forgotten. With Links closed, locate your LinksMMIII.exe file in File Explorer and right click on it and select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, click on the 'Change high DPI settings' button, tick the box for 'Override high DPI scaling behavior', make sure the dropdown beneath 'Scaling performed by:' is set to Application. Click OK twice. Start Links and see if any of your issues are corrected.

Leo

High DPI 1.jpg
High DPI 2.jpg
High DPI 3.jpg
Tried this, but to no avail. Adding another sky to the sky folder resulted in the weird sky again.
Thank you for your help.
Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

GoBucks wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:58 pm
Cervantes wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
for my desktop, yes
Cervantes
Thanks,
Dave

edit : Appears to be some brand of 20" monitor?
Yes, it's a 20" monitor.
Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:09 am It is important not to mix up the two problems here - There is:

1. The power-of-2-textures crash problem,

and then there is:

2. The sky-looking-weird problem.

Critically, and somewhat counter-intuitive, the solution of moving skies out of the sky folder in order to get rid of the corrupted sky file(s) does NOT solve problem number 2. It solves number 1.

In order to solve problem number 2, you dont have to move any sky files away. To solve number 2 we must first solve your download issue so you can get the dgVoo program from - again - the first post in this thread: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788
Cervantes wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:02 pmI don't know if Norton or something else is preventing the downloads. I am not getting a Norton pop-up dialogue box.
In what way do you notice that downloading does not work then? What happens immediately when you click on the download links? (for example this one: http://lspn.net/server_switch/LSPN_MAIN_L2K3.exe )

Which internet browser do you use? (e.g. Firefox, Google Chrome, Edge)?
I don't see C:\ProgramData folder.
It is a hidden folder, so you have to change a setting in File Explorer in order to view them (see picture below):

HiddenFolders.jpg
When I try to download those 2 files I get a dropdown box from the address bar saying that I cannot download these files. It doesn't appear to be a Norton 360 dialogue box.

Is this the file you are talking about?
http://andyhope.com/Direct3Dfix.zip

Cervantes
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey Cervantes, use firefox to download the files..... :thumbup: