Returning to Links

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Cervantes

Returning to Links

Post by Cervantes »

Hi, I have been away from Links for a long time (about 10-15 yrs). I see on the home page I can purchase and download Links 2003 (1.07). Do I download this and then the patches that are shown in the order they are listed?
Thank you in advance.

Cervantes
pmgolf

Re: Returning to Links

Post by pmgolf »

When you purchase Links, you also get the patches. The nVidia patch, the 1.02, 1.05 and the 1.07 patch, and assorted other patches. If you have any problem loading them, post them here, along with your main PC specs and operating system. Welcome back to Links! You're gonna love the courses we have available now! All free!

Pete
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

I clicked on the highlighted "click here to buy now" button, but nothing happened.
Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Possibly, your browser or adblocker (if you have one) may have prevented popups. There should be a setting to disable that feature on this specific website somewhere.

You might otherwise be able to right-click where it says "click here to buy now" and copy link and then paste it into your browser's adress bar. Here is the link it leads to anyways https://www.linkscountryclub.com/prosho ... ad-version

Welcome back :smile: Let us know if you run into any other issues. There are many fixes around vs the most common problems.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Adelade,
I downloaded from the link you provided. Do I need to download and install the other patches? Also, I have the player saved that I used to use when playing Links previously. I have forgotten how to access that player. Also, how do I reinstall the sound files and sky files I had saved. I saved all these things on my Onedrive account and have downloaded them to my hard drive. Sorry for all the questions, but after 10-15 yrs, I have forgotten.
Thank you.
Cervantes
Cervantes

Post by Cervantes »

Just finished playing a practice round, and I am confused. Everything seems to be about 75% of the speed on my old computer, and that was 10-15 yrs ago. The menu panels at the bottom of the screen are irregular - some show up and others do not. When a dialogue box appears, there are brown squares appearing at various points. Any suggestions?

Cervantes
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cervantes wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:19 pmDo I need to download and install the other patches?
From Links main menu, go to Options then click the "About" button at the bottom - it is supposed to say Version 1.07. Otherwise, download and run patch 1.07 from here: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

After that, if you havent already done so, I would recommend getting the Nvidia patch (regardless of whether you have any Nvidia card or not), you will find it in the above link as well.

There are a few other optional patches for certain game modes, but they're not needed for the base "Play Golf" mode so you can skip them for now (more info here: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 145#p16145 )
Also, I have the player saved that I used to use when playing Links previously. I have forgotten how to access that player. Also, how do I reinstall the sound files and sky files I had saved.
File locations can vary depending on operating system, where you installed Links etc, but normally (or at least for me), If the player files are golfer models (.l3 format) or player sound files (.SSF with a player's name) then they tend to go in the PolyAni folder which is within the standard Links folder (which might be called Links 2003). If they are .PIN or .ibo .jpg or .bmp they tend to go in C:\ProgramData[hidden folder]\Links 2003\Players , and if they are .SEP or .PHF they go in C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Links 2003\Career. Main soundscript files (.SSF) go directly into the main Links folder, then you select them from Options > Sound Settings. WAV files go into the WAVS folder within the main Links folder. Sky files go into the "skies" folder within the main Links folder.
Cervantes wrote: November 18th, 2022, 3:56 amEverything seems to be about 75% of the speed on my old computer, and that was 10-15 yrs ago. The menu panels at the bottom of the screen are irregular - some show up and others do not. When a dialogue box appears, there are brown squares appearing at various points. Any suggestions?
The Nvidia patch might solve this alone (not sure), but otherwise, go to Options > Graphics Settings and switch Display Mode to one that says 32-bit instead of 16-bit. I think it should at least solve the menu problem, not sure about the speed one, it is common for different systems to have different speeds for the classic swing gauge, but better computers in general tend to make it faster if anything...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

@ Crvantes...there are brown squares appearing at various points".....that's related to resolution....fire up Regedit...go to Links22k3 dir...and change the display setting....mode to 14...experiment with the mode setting...there is a list on here that breaks down the resolution mode/value somewhere...best of luck.... :fcrossed:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Cervantes wrote: November 18th, 2022, 3:56 am Just finished playing a practice round, and I am confused. Everything seems to be about 75% of the speed on my old computer, and that was 10-15 yrs ago. The menu panels at the bottom of the screen are irregular - some show up and others do not. When a dialogue box appears, there are brown squares appearing at various points. Any suggestions?

Cervantes
Cervantes, since you've addressed Adelade, stick to his recommendations. If you try to follow too many people, it will get you confused and make it difficult for the rest of us to know what you've done.

If you have ver 1.07 installed, it has higher resolutions available. No need to to get into the registry.
No matter where you go, there you are.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 179#p16179
Originally posted this in the wrong thread. Senior moment. :smile:

Original thread from LSPN.net.
http://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopic ... mod#p25425
No matter where you go, there you are.