Course Classification

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Luenz

Course Classification

Post by Luenz »

Hello,

I was thinking about the Course-Classifications in the Database.

Desert, Links, Heathland are totally clear.

But I don't understand how can I decide between Mountain and Woodland e.g. Banff... aren't the most Mountain Courses also Woodland. So if a course is both, than Mountain "wins"?

The same Priblem with Tropical and Ocean Courses... When is a Tropical course an Ocean Course?

I think Parkland difficult as well, because some Courses are Parkland which I had put into the Woodland Categorie, etc.

Maybe someone can help me
Derek
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Course Classification

Post by Andy »

There are no hard and fast rules governing this, it's entirely up to the designer what classification to apply when the course is uploaded.

Personally, I dislike desert courses so I usually give those a miss.

As more and more of the courses are getting screenshots added it gives you a better idea of the course setting.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Luenz wrote: July 27th, 2022, 8:04 pm Hello,

I was thinking about the Course-Classifications in the Database.

Desert, Links, Heathland are totally clear.

But I don't understand how can I decide between Mountain and Woodland e.g. Banff... aren't the most Mountain Courses also Woodland. So if a course is both, than Mountain "wins"?

The same Priblem with Tropical and Ocean Courses... When is a Tropical course an Ocean Course?

I think Parkland difficult as well, because some Courses are Parkland which I had put into the Woodland Categorie, etc.

Maybe someone can help me
Derek
Hi Derek, :smile:

Everyone may not agree completely on all of these, but this is how I personally classify them.

"Mountain" courses should be on or near snow-capped mountains. Not just tall wooded hills.

"Woodland" courses would be located on heavily wooded acreage found in the middle of a forest type surroundings.

"Tropical" courses would be the type where tropical foliage would be seen, such as coconut or palm trees and exotic flowers and bushes. Mauna Kea in Hawaii for example.

"Ocean" courses would be near oceans, where ocean views would be in the immediate surrounding scenery, such as Pebble Beach.

"Parkland" That, IMO, would be most likely a well maintained public course that was built in or near a city or a national park.

"Desert" Pretty much speaks for itself.

It's up to you to eliminate each of the above surroundings until you narrow it down to the one that best describes it. If you still can't decide, ask other designers for their opinion.

Best wishes, :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Luenz

Post by Luenz »

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for your description. I'm not a designer... I need the classification for my decision sheet. The classification is the main decider/part for the Wind-Possibility-Percentage. For example Links-Courses have an extrem higher percentage for "Windy" than Desert-Courses which have (in my Chart) a higher percentage (buff) for "No Wind" and so on....

At the moment... that's my "Roll the Dice"

No Wind (N) 5%
Breezy (B) 10%
Gusty (G) 75%
Windy (W) 10%

Desert -> N +15, B +10, G -20, W -5
Heathland -> W +10, G -10
Links -> W +20, G -15, B -5
Mountain -> ok
Ocean W +10, G -10
Parkland -> ok
Tropical -> N +5, B +10, G -10, W -5