Jack Newton

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Blade

Jack Newton

Post by Blade »

Australian #golf legend Jack Newton OAM has died.

The 72-year-old had an outstanding golfing career between 1971 and 1983 before it was cut short following a tragic aeroplane accident which caused him to lose his right arm.

R.I.P Jack a Great Australian & a Very Competitive Golfer 🏌️‍♂️
pmgolf

Re: Jack Newton

Post by pmgolf »

Didn't he miss a short putt (St. Andrews?) and give Nicklaus a victory? I believe he was a golf commentator, too. Really freak accident with that propeller! I was a fan of his!

Pete
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: April 15th, 2022, 7:59 pm Didn't he miss a short putt (St. Andrews?) and give Nicklaus a victory? I believe he was a golf commentator, too. Really freak accident with that propeller! I was a fan of his!
Pete
That would've been Doug Sanders in 1970 at St. Andrews, who had short putt to win and lost by a shot to Nicklaus in playoff. I believe it is still shown on tv occasionally where Nicklaus wearing the yellow sweater driving over #18 green. I used to see Sanders when young at local tournament in Greensboro, NC where he wore flashy colored outfits---purple, orange, yellow, pink or whatever imaginable color accessories for shirts, pants and shoes.
Newton 3 putted #18 at Carnoustie in 1975 and lost to Tom Watson in playoff. Nicklaus, Johny Miller and Bobby Cole finished one shot back that year. Was first of Watson's 5 Open championships.
Last edited by gene_golf on April 15th, 2022, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It was that loss to Tom Watson I was thinking of.

Pete