THANK GOODNESS FOR LINKS AND OUR DESIGNERS!

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

THANK GOODNESS FOR LINKS AND OUR DESIGNERS!

Post by Jimbo »

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrWmn1 ... TFRDIHuEY-

https://money.com/golf-dying-tiger-woods-elitist/

Obviously there are differing opinions , bit if indeed the "real" game is in trouble I can think of a few reasons:

1. Unless you live in the south/west/Hawaii or the tropics, golf is strictly a seasonal sport,
2. It's at the mercy of the weather-if it's raining or snowing (yes we occasionally get a dusting on the island),
3\.Check out the price of a round,
4. Check out the price of clubs,
5. 4 or 5 hours is a long time to devote to an round-and see point #2,
6. If you want to join a country club with unlimited golf, fine food and maybe curling then you're best to get your company to bankroll your membership.

Anyway check out these links and thank goodness for our Links! :thumbup:
MrT

Re: THANK GOODNESS FOR LINKS AND OUR DESIGNERS!

Post by MrT »

LInks is great for me (most of the times) for I can play games under 1 hour. 1 hour is about the magic number for me, the time I enjoy playing golf. On the other hand, rounds of four people were unbearable to me. Smoking, drinking, talking about nothing really, was not my thing. If it was real business stuff, I never enjoyed the game really as I had to concentrate on the business propositions. Never managed to finish one of these "chore games" in under 5 hours! In particular, in the heat and humidity of Summer days and when we had to organize search expeditions to find balls that went MIA. I cannot even stand looking for my own golf balls, leave alone those that belong to others.

Plus, when I played badly I get irritated and I am not very friendly to be around.

The game I enjoyed the most was one of my last when a colleague and I booked the first tee time in the morning at our local public golf course and had a round of speed golf, running and all that. We carried only 5 clubs+ putter to make the bags friendlier to run with. Finished the game in about 1 h e 30 minutes. We were so sweat that one other player asked if we had decided to get into the lake to hit shots. The toughest part was to putt when heart beats were 140 per minute and it was difficult to steady oneself for putting. But it really felt like a great exercise. Scores were not good, but who cared, I was not PGA material even walking the course, anyways.

And I think it is worth mentioning that, on LInks, I can play many courses. In real life I was limited to realistically the same 2-3 golf courses all the times. It was getting old after a few years. Traveling? My wife allowed me to travel to the Rockies in the Winter, the warmer months were her choice and golf courses were not on her list of things to do. She surprised me with a long weekend at Pebble Beach, but playing Pebble Beach when your local golf courses are on the very easy side is like trying to climb Mount Everest after one has gone hiking the local trails on the hills in the neighborhood for one year. Basically useless.

So, yes, I agree, thank goodness for Links.

And I agree with the other points too. Costs are incredibly high and I am not seeing many young people but, truth be told, I did not see them even 25 years ago or so when I played my first rounds. I was one of you younger ones back then.