Games

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Luenz

Re: Games

Post by Luenz »

Duck Hook wrote: October 29th, 2022, 12:22 am Hi Derek, I have the special edition of monkney island on my HDD. I also remember the Indiana Jones games.

There are a heap of old MS DOS games I would like to play again but could never get them to run. Strategic Simulations brought out some really cool ( for the day ) military sims in the mid to late 80's. I would really like to revisit Kampfgruppe and Mech Brigade again but it would seem impossible. Although I do have an old 386 PC mothballed but the disk drive is cactus. Seal Team was another old game I loved, set during Vietnam. Actually Vietcong is another cool vietnam era FPS.

Also does anybody remember " Myst " ? That was cool if somewhat cryptic game.
Yeah SSI had/have some greant Games. On my HDD and working (Windows 10) Thanks to GOG.com (Good old Game)s:

Stronghold - Kingdom simulator
Panzer General 2
Peoples General
Fantasy General
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I'd say my favourite genre is High Fantasy Action/RPGs (though not the isometric perspective ones). My favourite game is the original Dark Souls, and the two games Im most looking forward to playing one day are The Withcher 3 and Monster Hunter World. Im not in a rush to get to them because I have so many other games on my list, and Im a pleasure delayer. Im also into various retro games from around the 90s. I used to be really into rally games like Colin McRae series, and a bit of track-racing too, but it feels like there are no good games that suit my tastes in those genres, I hate where publishers have taken those genres in the past 15-20 years, and sadly my favourite older games within those genres admittedly have a lot of primitive flaws.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Luenz wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:20 am Yeah SSI had/have some greant Games. On my HDD and working (Windows 10) Thanks to GOG.com (Good old Game)s:

Stronghold - Kingdom simulator
Panzer General 2
Peoples General
Fantasy General
Hey thanks Derek, I checked that site out and there are some really cool old games there...

:cheers1:
T
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Danny D wrote: October 29th, 2022, 3:01 am I forgot I have Virtual Pool 4. :oops: I haven't played it for a couple of years though. Do you find Cue Club 2 any better than VP 4?

Dan
I think I played VP3 way back when. But I can almost guarantee CC2 is better. One of the better things about it is they have that FB page, and encourage players to suggest new features, and then they actually implement them. They update the game about once a month (plus a couple of quick fixes shortly thereafter), and this appears to be the only thing they're working on, so they are devoting all their time and resources to it. I think it's about USD18, with infinite free updates. They pay attention to the smallest detail, e.g. they recently adjusted the physics for the way a ball bounces off the cushion. The latest version allows you to switch between the longest cue available (60")* to the medium (57")* or shortest cue (54")* for any shot. I like to use the long cue on a break (more power), than back to the short cue (better English, topspin, etc.). I think you mentioned previously one type of billiards they don't support (yet), was it carom billiards? So that might be a reason not to switch if that's your preferred game. Their 3D rendition is very, very good, but I think most players online still stick to the top-down 2D view, probably for speed of play.

* Corrected, I had them in cm previously
Last edited by FOOOOORE! on November 8th, 2022, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: November 6th, 2022, 11:58 pm
Danny D wrote: October 29th, 2022, 3:01 am I forgot I have Virtual Pool 4. :oops: I haven't played it for a couple of years though. Do you find Cue Club 2 any better than VP 4?

Dan
I think I played VP3 way back when. But I can almost guarantee CC2 is better. One of the better things about it is they have that FB page, and encourage players to suggest new features, and then they actually implement them. They update the game about once a month (plus a couple of quick fixes shortly thereafter), and this appears to be the only thing they're working on, so they are devoting all their time and resources to it. I think it's about USD18, with infinite free updates. They pay attention to the smallest detail, e.g. they recently adjusted the physics for the way a ball bounces off the cushion. The latest version allows you to switch between the longest cue available (60cm) to the medium (57cm) or shortest cue (54cm) for any shot. I like to use the long cue on a break (more power), than back to the short cue (better English, topspin, etc.). I think you mentioned previously one type of billiards they don't support (yet), was it carom billiards? So that might be a reason not to switch if that's your preferred game. Their 3D rendition is very, very good, but I think most players online still stick to the top-down 2D view, probably for speed of play.
Hi FOOOOORE

I'm thinking the "short" cue you referred to might be a jump cue?? The game I prefer is called 3 cushion billiards. If they don't have that available, I doubt I would buy the program.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Yes, I recalled correctly then, we talked about this a year ago or so. They haven't added any new games yet, but I'm sure other people have asked for them. I once mentioned <cough>bumper pool<cough> to them, only because I played quite a bit of that during college. I've always suspected they have other versions in the works, and adding an entirely new game mode is a huge undertaking, so we're not going to see that in an update until it's completely finished and tested. Have you ever watched any Efren Reyes videos on Youtube? I learned quite a bit about strategy from watching him play. I believe he said he also prefers 3-cushion and one-pocket billiards.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I think the jump cue is something else. The cue lengths I posted earlier should have been in inches, so the "short" cue is 54", long cue 60". A jump cue is only 41" and has a much harder, phenolic tip, and is stiffer and lighter. And I've heard a more abrasive chalk is used, powdered corundum for example. That's something else I'm sure people have asked for; currently there is no jump shot, and it's impossible to knock a ball right off the table.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: November 8th, 2022, 4:03 am I think the jump cue is something else. The cue lengths I posted earlier should have been in inches, so the "short" cue is 54", long cue 60". A jump cue is only 41" and has a much harder, phenolic tip, and is stiffer and lighter. And I've heard a more abrasive chalk is used, powdered corundum for example. That's something else I'm sure people have asked for; currently there is no jump shot, and it's impossible to knock a ball right off the table.
You threw me off a little when you said CM instead of inches. :smile:

Love bumper pool.

I was a semi-pro pool and billiards player 20 or so years ago when I lived in the St Louis area. My favorite games were 3 cushion billiards, One pocket, and 9 ball, in that order. I played in a lot of local tournaments. Won a couple of them.

If you can't make jump shots in the game you have, I know I would not like it. Jump shots are part of the game. :whistle:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

I grew up playing bumper pool in bars. Loved it. Haven't played it in a long time. I had a regulation pool table in my basement for a long time. I could make jump shots with a shorty jump cue although I didn't practice it much as I was afraid of damaging the table. :laugh: I never got really good but I had a lot of fun. I have Virtual Pool 3 and it works in Window 10 with some fiddling. It's a great game and is a very good simulation. You can definitely jump the table and make jump shots although I haven't come close to getting good at it. Here's a video of it in action jumping. It can also masse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1KJDh3nkkU

Chuck

I forgot to mention that you can play about twenty different games including 3-cushion, 1-cushion, snooker, one pocket, ect. Different size tables, cues also.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

ChuckH wrote: November 9th, 2022, 2:06 am I grew up playing bumper pool in bars. Loved it. Haven't played it in a long time. I had a regulation pool table in my basement for a long time. I could make jump shots with a shorty jump cue although I didn't practice it much as I was afraid of damaging the table. :laugh: I never got really good but I had a lot of fun. I have Virtual Pool 3 and it works in Window 10 with some fiddling. It's a great game and is a very good simulation. You can definitely jump the table and make jump shots although I haven't come close to getting good at it. Here's a video of it in action jumping. It can also masse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1KJDh3nkkU

Chuck

I forgot to mention that you can play about twenty different games including 3-cushion, 1-cushion, snooker, one pocket, ect. Different size tables, cues also.
Hi Chuck! I've played Virtual Pool pretty much since it first started. I'm on VP 4 now. If you can spare the money, I believe you will find VP 4 even better and more improved than VP 3. :smile:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses