Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: I've played so poorly all day; I think I'm going to go drown myself in that lake.
Caddy: I doubt you could keep your head down that long.

Antialiasing In L2k3Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
jurgie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

I am currently running L2k3 In Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit with a GTX 1060 dual fan 6gb card. Displayed on 60" widescreen 1920x1080 res. I have always had Nvidia cards mainly because of Links because I could always force AA into the downloaded courses which eliminated all those nasty jaggies which were pretty prevelant throughout most of the custom coursed. Everything looked great all the way up to the last 900 series card that I upgraded to a GTX 1060 card last year. The courses still look great, with this card however, I am no longer able to force AA into the game. Therefore the jaggies are back. On a 60" screen they are pretty noticeable. Trying to override existing AA settings and forcing AA results in graphic issues within courses such as disappearing golfer and other graphic distortions. Any ideas for a fix? Mad

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

jurgie wrote:
I am currently running L2k3 In Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit with a GTX 1060 dual fan 6gb card. Displayed on 60" widescreen 1920x1080 res. I have always had Nvidia cards mainly because of Links because I could always force AA into the downloaded courses which eliminated all those nasty jaggies which were pretty prevelant throughout most of the custom coursed. Everything looked great all the way up to the last 900 series card that I upgraded to a GTX 1060 card last year. The courses still look great, with this card however, I am no longer able to force AA into the game. Therefore the jaggies are back. On a 60" screen they are pretty noticeable. Trying to override existing AA settings and forcing AA results in graphic issues within courses such as disappearing golfer and other graphic distortions. Any ideas for a fix? Mad

Absolutely no known fix!
It's the thing that bugs me most about Links 2003. I have tried a number of tricks and different software and methods but nothing works. The newer Nvidia drivers just don't allow AA to work any longer in Links.

aka Viper
jurgie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply. I was afraid that the 10 series cards were the culprit. Because I am running Links on a widescreen it becomes even more of a distraction. I definitely agree with you that this is the one issue that has bothered me as well.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

If I ever come across anything new to try I'll certainly try it. Lack of AA is bothersome on any monitor. I put Links on my 19inch 1280x1024 and it's really no better than running on widescreen. Same, lots of visible jaggies.

aka Viper
jurgie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:
If I ever come across anything new to try I'll certainly try it. Lack of AA is bothersome on any monitor. I put Links on my 19inch 1280x1024 and it's really no better than running on widescreen. Same, lots of visible jaggies.
Thank God! I'm not crazy after all. If you ever find a fix other than reverting back to an older card please let me know. Thanks again.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

I'll post it to the world! Thumb Up Laugh Laugh Laugh

aka Viper
jurgie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:
jurgie wrote:

Absolutely no known fix!
It's the thing that bugs me most about Links 2003. I have tried a number of tricks and different software and methods but nothing works. The newer Nvidia drivers just don't allow AA to work any longer in Links.
With me it was the upgrade to a GTX 10 series card that was the problem. Prior to the upgrade I was running a GTX 960 and forcing AA into Links on Win 7 64 Pro was no problem. I had to upgrade to run PG because of the higher frame rate of that sim.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Do you have any idea what driver version you ran with the 960?

aka Viper
jurgie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:
Do you have any idea what driver version you ran with the 960?
I am not sure of the driver version. I know that I replaced the 960 with the 1060 some time last year in the early Fall. The driver for that card when it was replaced was current and up to date. I would say that any driver released in September 2018 would be the one that the card was using. If you have a 900 series card or earlier, it should let you force AA into Links. Any driver compatible with the card should work as long as it is not a 10 series card.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

I'll try a couple of the drivers from that time. I have read I think literally 2 reports of working AA. It hasn't worked for the masses for years now. There may be the odd driver or driver/card combination that allows it to work as was the case for you with the 960. AA died many years before this for most people so you were a rare exception.
I'll check into it. If I have any success I'll let you know. I have tried everything with non working drivers to get AA working but haven't tried different drivers. I run many things so once I have a driver that works mostly for all the things I have, I don't change it.

If you are happy to keep updating drivers, may be worth you updating to the latest as you may find one version suddenly gives you working AA again. If that happens, post back here and let us know.

aka Viper
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

I'm so glad I've stuck with my elderly AMD Radeon R7 360 having read this.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Stephen Sullivan wrote:
I'm so glad I've stuck with my elderly AMD Radeon R7 360 having read this.

Stick with what you got as long as you can if you have working AA. Thumb Up
AMD cards are virtually the same. Most don't work although I have read of more success with Links and AMD AA than with Nvidia but they have also generally speaking gone bad.

aka Viper
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Have the latest driver installed and Links runs fine with AA at 8 and AF at

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Stephen Sullivan wrote:
Have the latest driver installed and Links runs fine with AA at 8 and AF at

Lucky man! AF has always worked fine. I have to play Tiger Woods now to get AA. It was kinda exciting for me to have it working again in a golf game! Laugh Laugh Laugh
It's not Links unfortunately but I'll try some different drivers next week to see what happens.

aka Viper
Adelade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Is anyone who has AA working able to show a screenshot or two of how good it can look? :)

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
Is anyone who has AA working able to show a screenshot or two of how good it can look? :)

Go to Pinehurst #2. Look at the pole on hole #1 on the left. Imagine if it was straight! 3D stuff looks the worst.

aka Viper
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Here:

aka Viper
pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

This is what I get with a "EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 128bit":

Pete

Adelade

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Well yeah details are obviously gonna look very different if you zoom in and focus on them (Edit: maybe all those pics are without AA?), but hard to judge from those pictures how noticeable the difference is in the overall look of the game. Was hoping to maybe get to compare some full view from some tee somewhere if possible. Found a few example holes with good views where I spot some jaggedness on my end (with panoramic view) that would be interesting to compare how much different they look with AA:
Kapalua Plantation 2009 18th tee
Pebble Beach 2004 9th or 18th tee
Whistling Straits HD 16th tee

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Antialiasing In L2k3 Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
Well yeah details are obviously gonna look very different if you zoom in and focus on them (Edit: maybe all those pics are without AA?), but hard to judge from those pictures how noticeable the difference is in the overall look of the game. Was hoping to maybe get to compare some full view from some tee somewhere if possible. Found a few example holes with good views where I spot some jaggedness on my end (with panoramic view) that would be interesting to compare how much different they look with AA:
Kapalua Plantation 2009 18th tee
Pebble Beach 2004 9th or 18th tee
Whistling Straits HD 16th tee

I don't have AA, and I didn't zoom in. I cut them out of a screen print (where the golfer you see is 5 1/2" tall) and uploaded them to LinksCorner who displayed them as a 7 1/2" tall character. The image you see is the same as the one I see - it's just being displayed as slightly larger. My opinion is that a good NVidia graphics card (not a new one - a good one) and a good widescreen monitor will display a better image. My monitor is a Samsung 720p widescreen HDTv that doubles as monitor.

Pete

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think my game is improving? Caddy: Oh yes, sir! You miss the ball much closer than you used to.