Please support Links Corner    

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.

Links 2001 - Windows 10Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
dorlen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

I need help. Since installing Windows 10 I have been unable to reinstall my Links 2001. Once I download it keeps telling me to install disc but nothing happens. I am pretty well computer illiterate and was wondering if there is an easy fix or download I can try.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

dorlen wrote:
I need help. Since installing Windows 10 I have been unable to reinstall my Links 2001. Once I download it keeps telling me to install disc but nothing happens. I am pretty well computer illiterate and was wondering if there is an easy fix or download I can try.

Are you using a downloaded version?
Have you managed to get the game installed?
It's asking for a disc after you try to launch the game?

These points aren't clear to me.

aka Viper
Armand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's a message when the game launches. If so, try the following:

1. Downloading the noCD/RUKSHUK patch for Links 2001
http://ge.tt/8k5qJCV2

2. Extract the ZIP file (your computer will probably notify you that the extracted file is a virus - it is not)

3. Move the extracted file RUKSHUK.exe to the directory where Links 2001 is installed. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2001, or similar)

If I guessed the wrong issue you're having, then as StillLinksing mentioned, we'll need some clarification from you.

A few years back, there was a thread on Links 2001 and Windows 10 that might also help:
http://www.linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33095

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Armand wrote:

Met too but I was kinda interested to know if it was a download version or a CD version first before making a suggestion. Laugh Laugh Laugh

aka Viper
rbtrolinger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Is there a trick to download 'RUKSHUK.ZIP from 'http://ge.tt/8k5qJCV2'? I click on all the 'download' links and nothing. Edge, IE, Chrome. I created a ge.tt id and still nothing. Thanks!

Armand wrote:

1. Downloading the noCD/RUKSHUK patch for Links 2001
http://ge.tt/8k5qJCV2

2. Extract the ZIP file (your computer will probably notify you that the extracted file is a virus - it is not)

3. Move the extracted file RUKSHUK.exe to the directory where Links 2001 is installed. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2001, or similar)

If I guessed the wrong issue you're having, then as StillLinksing mentioned, we'll need some clarification from you.

A few years back, there was a thread on Links 2001 and Windows 10 that might also help:
http://www.linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33095

Latsop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

rbtrolinger wrote:
Is there a trick to download 'RUKSHUK.ZIP from 'http://ge.tt/8k5qJCV2'? I click on all the 'download' links and nothing. Edge, IE, Chrome. I created a ge.tt id and still nothing. Thanks!

You might try this one...it says its Rukshuk.exe for 2003, but might do the same thing for 2001. The link is in the 3rd post down from the top.

RUKSHUK Thumb Up

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1cphhnhdkinuce/RUKSHUK2001.zip?dl=0

aka Viper
rbtrolinger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Great. Thanks! Works like a charm.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

rbtrolinger wrote:

Excellent! I've been messing around with Links 2001, been fun! Thumb Up

aka Viper
Latsop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

rbtrolinger wrote:

Glad to hear it works...I might want to fire up the old Links 2001 some day, myself. Kinda miss those cool golfer animations. Thumb Up

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
rbtrolinger wrote:

Glad to hear it works...I might want to fire up the old Links 2001 some day, myself. Kinda miss those cool golfer animations. Thumb Up

Yeah, you tend to get locked into one sim. I played 2003 solely for a long time then one day decided to reload 2000. Since then I've started messing with all versions of Links and other golf games. Plenty to be said for change is a good thing. Thumb Up

aka Viper
Latsop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:
I've started messing with all versions of Links and other golf games. Plenty to be said for change is a good thing. Thumb Up

Right...just reinstalled Defense Grid. Ten years old, but still loads of fun and looks good.
Thumb Up

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
Still Linksing wrote:
I've started messing with all versions of Links and other golf games. Plenty to be said for change is a good thing. Thumb Up

Right...just reinstalled Defense Grid. Ten years old, but still loads of fun and looks good.
Thumb Up

Thumb Up Laugh Laugh Laugh

aka Viper
Latsop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:

Hey, it's a blast! Laugh I still love my old Total Annihilation,too. (Twenty years old!) Punk

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
Still Linksing wrote:

Hey, it's a blast! Laugh I still love my old Total Annihilation,too. (Twenty years old!) Punk

The old games are great! I totally live for them now. I'm happy we can play many of these games that pushed our systems back when they were new and now with settings maxed out we get over 200 fps! Laugh

aka Viper
Latsop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:

The old games are great! I totally live for them now. I'm happy we can play many of these games that pushed our systems back when they were new and now with settings maxed out we get over 200 fps! Laugh

Right...Total Annihilation required a minimum 100mhz cpu, I had a 133mhz. I wanted the latest 333mhz, but it was $1,500 bucks! Laugh

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
Still Linksing wrote:

Right...Total Annihilation required a minimum 100mhz cpu, I had a 133mhz. I wanted the latest 333mhz, but it was $1,500 bucks! Laugh

My system with Pentium 400 set me back over 3k. I gave it away! Wish like heck I kept it and an old CRT monitor so I could run some old stuff on Win 98 today. You never would've thought back then that 20 years later, you might want to use your 20 year old PC again! Dunno

aka Viper
Latsop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:

My system with Pentium 400 set me back over 3k. I gave it away! Wish like heck I kept it and an old CRT monitor so I could run some old stuff on Win 98 today. You never would've thought back then that 20 years later, you might want to use your 20 year old PC again! Dunno

Right...I still have and use my XP desktop. I don't care if I couldn't get $50 bucks for it, I'm keeping it! Thumb Up

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
Still Linksing wrote:

Right...I still have and use my XP desktop. I don't care if I couldn't get $50 bucks for it, I'm keeping it! Thumb Up

Yes, me too! I lost the Win 98 machine but have the XP machine. Keeping it for the day I really need it. Win 7 machine runs everything for now but at some point I will be forced to a new machine and Win 10. That WILL be disaster for many games the XP machine will handle after the Win 7 machine may die.

aka Viper
Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Links 2001 - Windows 10 Reply with quote

Still Linksing wrote:
Latsop wrote:
Still Linksing wrote:

Yes, me too! I lost the Win 98 machine but have the XP machine. Keeping it for the day I really need it. Win 7 machine runs everything for now but at some point I will be forced to a new machine and Win 10. That WILL be disaster for many games the XP machine will handle after the Win 7 machine may die.
All I ever wanted was a computer that would run MS Flight sim in full blown mode. That program was brutal. Erm

GIMMIE: An uneasy agreement between players who can't putt...
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

My clubs are well used, but unfortunately not used well! - Jack Burrell