Please support Links Corner    

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.

Modems & Port forwarding View older topic :: View newer topic  
scrollmanmike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Modems & Port forwarding Reply with quote

Is it posible to play Links 203 V1.07 through a wifi modem? I have a regular modem and cannot connect with my playing partmer through my router. If I take the router out of the circuit and plug my modem into the computer everything is OK. I have the opportunity to go to a wifi modem but am not sure if this will work. Thanks for listening.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Modems & Port forwarding Reply with quote

I'm guessing the router has a firewall that needs to be configured to permit online play. A wi-fi modem is likely to have the same issue (it's basically just a wireless router & modem combined). I don't play online so I've never messed with it, but I think you may need to configure ports appropriately to permit online play. Hopefully someone else can chime in with how-to details.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: MOdems Reply with quote

You need to open some ports for you to be able to play your friend
The ports are

2300-2400
6073-6073
47624-47624

The way I have to do it in my router is this way.
Open Router pick Advanced
look for port forwarding
In name I type Links1
Port Start 2300 End Port 2400
Then you need to put Your IP in which looks something like this 192.168.0.
After the 0 you need to put the last digit in you can find this by going to control panel then network shareing click on local area connection
then details look for IPv4 Address that is your router IP the last diget could be different to mine but you must add it in your router IP for it to work.
after doing that you need to add the rule then submit it.You then get to the next port.Here I type
In name I type Links2
Port Start 6073 End Port 6073
then the IP Address again
add the rule and submit.
Then we have the third port.
I type in Links3
start port 47624 end Port 47624
then IP again add the rule submit and you are done.
I also have to dissable the router firewall but Windows as it's own so not a problem.Hope this helps in some way very hard discribing how to open ports because there are so many different router.

KunkleMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Modems & Port forwarding Reply with quote

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

This may help.

No. 1 rule of golf-----Make sure you stay on the RIGHT side of the grass!!
pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Modems & Port forwarding Reply with quote

Could this be made a STICKY, please? I've seen many requests for this information.

Thanks,
Pete

scrollmanmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re. Modems Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who answered. Would this same information apply to a wifi modem? Sorry to keep bugging all of you but I really want to keep playing online with mr brother-in-law.
Mike

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Re. Modems Reply with quote

scrollmanmike wrote:
Thanks to everyone who answered. Would this same information apply to a wifi modem? Sorry to keep bugging all of you but I really want to keep playing online with mr brother-in-law.
Mike

Theoretically, it should.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
gowoods

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Modems & Port forwarding Reply with quote

Yes WIFI is exactly the same, if the ports Links requires to be open are closed you will not be able to play online with anyone. Once you have configured the ports you will be able to host or join a game, it's a good idea to ensure that your playing partners ports are also open otherwise you will still have connection issues.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

It's not a good idea to pick up lost golfballs while they're still rolling. ~ Mark Twain